1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Use of EEfRT in the NIH study: Deep phenotyping of PI-ME/CFS, 2024, Walitt et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @andrewkq. I think I have to have a refined search to one person, the volume would be too large to ask for all communications with this search term (according to the FOIA rep)

Arvo, alktipping, EndME and 2 others like this.
  2. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know if it's a smokescreen because I a priori don't see how it would matter who administered the EEfRT or who conducted most of the data analysis.
    @EndME

I may be away with the fairies butting in here but I seem to remember reading on here that the person administering the/a test reminded participants with ME that they could deteriorate by exceeding their limits, or something similar. Surely that would matter? If I find the link, I'll edit it in. I hope I haven't made this up. Don't want to distract this great work. Thanks guys.

Arvo, alktipping, JoClaire and 3 others like this.
  3. JoClaire

JoClaire Established Member (Voting Rights)

I noticed later your model structure was different than theirs. Let me know if it's not clear.

alktipping likes this.
  4. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was an American newspaper article quoting one of the participants. I am just back from shopping, so will delay trying to find it until I have had a rest.

bobbler, Arvo, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  5. Peter Trewhitt

It was the first of the two Washington Post articles:

The quote was:

“Researchers told her that, on any given task, she might stress her body in a way that could undo all her progress. “They would remind me each day that this could be the last exercise you’re able to do,” she said. They’d regularly ask her if she was sure she wanted to continue. They also explained that, unlike many clinical trials, this one didn’t offer treatment. Participation was not going to make her better.”

Robert 1973, bobbler, duncan and 7 others like this.
  6. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This was in reference to the quote "Researchers told her that, on any given task, she might stress her body in a way that could undo all her progress. “They would remind me each day that this could be the last exercise you’re able to do,” she said. They’d regularly ask her if she was sure she wanted to continue. They also explained that, unlike many clinical trials, this one didn’t offer treatment. Participation was not going to make her better."

This doesn't say anything about the person administering the EEfRT, rather than the researchers in general as far as I can tell (and it doesn't matter too much who said this because it always creates a bias). I think we have to get proper information from one of the participants before we can say anything about this.

bobbler, duncan, Evergreen and 6 others like this.
  7. Peter Trewhitt

@EndME sorry we cross posted, I failed to go and rest.

Arvo, alktipping, EndME and 1 other person like this.
  8. Binkie4

Thanks @Peter Trewhitt and @EndME I wondered at the time I read it how this could be a neutral act.

bobbler, Arvo, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  9. Peter Trewhitt

This description, if it accurately represents what happened, makes a total mockery of any comparison between the patients and the healthy volunteers. They effectively were undertaking very different activities.

bobbler, Evergreen, Arvo and 9 others like this.
  10. JoClaire

Where did we find out the Walitt test was 15 minutes?

(Edited this part: I am looking at data (3a).
    Totaling choice_time and completion_time seems a reasonable approximation of test duration. I am still suspicious about the one point in time. There are other reasons I just can't get them down in words.)

I believe this is especially relevant in the repetitive grip test MRI. I have this as a big concern in my notes/head. (Lol severe with PEM and haven't been able to put all my concerns down yet.)

@Peter Trewhitt @EndME

11. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's explained somewhere in the study set-up of the slightly modified EEfRT they are using (not by counting together the trial durations which should yield a decent approximation though).

Arvo, Binkie4, JoClaire and 2 others like this.
  12. JoClaire

This was my thinking too. Also do not have experience.

ps I've been frustrated that I can't follow a thread (within this thread) from beginning to end. Just realized you can search for the post number (I just searched for <whatever the number was to @Dakota15's comment> & found ME/CFS Skeptic's response

Arvo, Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  13. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the methods section on page 19 in the paper:

"...Finally, the participant learned if they have won, based upon the probability of winning and the successful completion of the task. This process repeats in its entirety for 15 min. "​

Arvo, bobbler, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.
  14. JoClaire

Thanks. This is really helpful.

I hope to wind down to get good sleep tonight. Tomorrow, I hope to be able to share some of what I looked at yesterday and today. (Do you cross fingers or knock on wood in Belgium? Or something else for good luck? Does it help with brain fog?)

cfsandmore, Arvo, bobbler and 3 others like this.
  15. Binkie4

It seems as if Walitt used a shorter time period than Treadway(2009)

"Upon arriving to the lab, participants first reviewed a consent form and provided written consent. Participants were then asked to complete all self-report measures. After this, participants were provided with a series of task instructions. After participants read through the instructions, they were asked several simple questions to ensure they understood the task and its contingencies. Participants then played four practice trials. For the first two trials, the participant was instructed to choose the easy and hard task respectively, in order to gain familiarity with the level of effort required for each task. For the last two practice trials, the subject was free to choose. After completion of practice trials, the participant was asked if he or she had any questions. If not, then the subject commenced playing for a timed period of 20 minutes." ( my bold)

Does this change of task period affect the validity of the test? Can the time be adjusted at will by the study investigator without affecting the results? Also, whether 15 or 20 minutes, it seems a long time to concentrate hard for people with ME. It seems as if the test is testing a weak area for pwme whereas controls don't have this disadvantage.

duncan, bobbler, JoClaire and 3 others like this.
  16. JoClaire

Thanks for sharing Binkie. This type of *directed* practice process is not described in NIH paper. (No practice is described at all.- Not that I can find.) Nor does the data reflect this direction. Rather, it looks like the participant was free to choose during the early trials. (See notes and table, below.)

Some relevant notes:
    (Note about my notes: I did best I could to double check my work - but likely a few errors remain. I think the general ideas could still be relevant to discussion.)

Total time, 15 minute limit, practice trials
    Suspicions about the starting trial led me to investigate time.

Chart below: Total time (minutes) versus maximum trial number for each participant
    • Total time (min) = ((choice time + completion time )/60) total all trials, each participant
    • Maximum trial is the highest trial a participant reaches.
    Blue includes time of practice trials, but does not add the 4 practice trials to the maximum trial number. Red is the trials, starting from Trial 1.

The tight correlation with max trial number and total time is consistent with a 7 second overhead for each trial, 2 - 1 second screens* and 2 - 2.5 second screens* (?) When looking at the variability it may be important to note the maximum total time here is 26 seconds, average 12.5.

(*See methodology p 18/19 of paper, time of the last two screens is not included in the paper, even though every other part is in detail.)
    It is not clear at what point the trial is stopped. Is the last trial started before 15 minutes and allowed to complete? Thank you @ME/CFS Skeptic )

upload_2024-3-30_22-14-8.png

PwME/CFS may "Prefer" More Effort in Practice and First Trials
    I'm very curious about whether all of these "practice trials" happened before the 15 minutes start. And wonder what happened in them. During these practice trials, PI_ME/CFS "chose" harder trials more often, overall than HV's. (If they are following instructions, why were they instructed to choose more hard trials than HV's? (This would leave them more fatigued at the beginning of Trial 1...)

Trial 1: Error in Paper

HV: 0.19 chose hard, 0.81 avoid hard,
    PI: 0.4 chose hard, 0.6 avoid hard
    This represents an (OR = 0.74) versus paper says (OR = 1.6) at start of trial.
    (See notes for figure 3a.)

No adjustment is needed for prize value, probability or trial number because it is consistent for all participants. Not adjusted for sex but 43% of HV are male versus 40% PI ME/CFS, favoring HV.

@ME/CFS Skeptic pointed this out earlier. (Ps I may be calculating OR incorrectly. But at least directionally, it should be correct here.)

PwME “win” trials -4 through -1:
    HV: participants chose hard task 0.44 vs, 0.56 choosing easy task
    PV: 0.52, 0,48
    OR = 0.86

While value and probability of reward are same for each participant in a given trial, the differences between trials could skew this result. (And as mentioned above if these were directed there are issue with that.)

This table shows Probability Hard Task is Chosen (PHTC) , OR for first six Trials, including trials immediately before 15 minute timer starts:
    upload_2024-3-30_22-59-19.png

In five of the first six trials, PwME/CFS have higher “effort preference” than healthy volunteers.

Again none of these comparisons adjust for sex, but favor HV’s. So, if adjusted for sex PHTC would increase and OR would lower by small fraction.

Task induced Fatigue

If we include practice trials, there are a few metrics that look indicate task fatigue is greater in PI-ME/CFS (which walitt will, of course, deny). For example I tried to plot OR, but accidentally used probability of hard task choices instead of probability of avoiding hard tasks.

This is the first information I looked at once I realized each trial had same variables for each participant. (apples to apples comparison)

NOTE WELL: This INCLUDES practice trials.
    ALSO NOTE: This is not (OR) - I accidentally used percent of hard tasks chosen instead of easy tasks. Greater than 1 means PI-ME/CFS "prefer effort" more than HV's.
    upload_2024-3-30_22-52-25.png

(repeating: NOTE WELL: This chart INCLUDES practice trials - (Trial -4 = 0 Discussion to follow on this if anyone is interested in pursuing this line of investigation.)
    ALSO NOTE: this is not OR - I accidentally used percent of hard tasks chosen instead of easy tasks.)

That's all my brain has ability to put here for now. Apologies if these have been discussed. I haven't read all of the preceding discussion.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
    Evergreen, Lilas, cfsandmore and 4 others like this.
  17. JoClaire

There are a number of things that add up for me. So fish smell still lingers. The patient variable is the least significant of other variables in the model you created. I suspect using a logarithmic variable for time, and an (logarithmic) interaction between time and patient (maybe gender) may yield different results. (I haven't looked at residuals/errors from your model. But I'd like to do that next.)

Same! (I am not sure I am calculating odds ratio correctly.) But agree. This is strange. I'm still getting my head around a number of things odd to me.

Typing with foggy head. Apologies if not clear!

bobbler, Evergreen, Starlight and 4 others like this.
  18. andrewkq

andrewkq Established Member (Voting Rights)

I think we finally have our smoking gun. Our argument has been weakened so far by lack of statistical evidence that ability to complete the hard trials is related to Proportion of Hard-Task Choices (PHTC) aka "effort preference". When I tested for this previously, I used a pearson correlation and a linear regression and they were both non-significant. We had a lot of things we were looking into at the time so I just moved onto the next question without much thought. However, on closer inspection, these were not the correct tests to do because they assume normal distributions. Pearson's correlation assumes normality in both variables being compared, and linear regression assumes normality in the residuals from the regression model. But percentage of hard tasks completed is highly negatively skewed (skewness = -1.37)! Here's a histogram showing the skewness:

upload_2024-3-31_17-33-53.png

This means that the correlation should be tested with a non-parametric test that does not assume normality, like Spearman's rho or Kendall's tau. I ran these and both tests show that ability to complete the hard trials is correlated with Proportion of Hard-Task Choices, which means effort preference is officially confounded with ability.

upload_2024-3-31_17-42-50.png
    upload_2024-3-31_17-43-30.png

And just in case that isn't sweet enough, the icing on the cake is that self-reported physical dysfunction on SF-36 is also correlated with ability to complete the hard trials, which means the more disabled you are, the harder it is for you to complete the EEfRT hard trials.

upload_2024-3-31_17-55-2.png

Unfortunately SF-36 isn't correlated with PHTC, but you can only ask for so much in a severely underpowered study.

upload_2024-3-31_17-57-5.png

Let me know if I'm missing something or misapplying the stats here. It's been awhile since my research methods class. It's going to take me a bit longer to incorporate these findings into the letter @EndME @Jonathan Edwards so that's going to be a bit delayed, but I think this makes our argument much stronger.

19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Not the first time this issue has arisen in this field. Same thing happened with PACE:

From 2007 (pre-PACE)
    From 2011 (post-PACE)
    Note the authors on those two papers.

From Tuller's reporting on this:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
    Robert 1973, Binkie4, rvallee and 8 others like this.
  20. JoClaire

I think this could strengthen your argument if positioned in such a way.

If PHTC shows effort preference, which (ahem) is “avoiding feelings of fatigue.” That should be strongly correlated with reported disability. Rather, percent complete is more closely tied to disability. The fact that ability to complete wasn’t wholly determinate of PHTC is also descriptive. (They are definitely related - high p- value with small sample and 0.3 is meaningful enough to break the assumptions you’re going after. But also illustrates that many chose hard tasks anyway.

Binkie4, duncan, Evergreen and 4 others like this.