1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Use of Dietary Supplements and Perceived Knowledge among Adults Living with Fibromyalgia in Norway: A Cross-Sectional Study, 2022, Kvael et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Mij, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

Fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) is a complex medical condition characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain. To date, no gold standard treatment has been developed, and persons with FMS often seek alternative methods to control their symptoms, such as dietary supplements (DS). This study aimed to describe the use of DS in persons living with FMS and examine the associations between the use of DS and its potential predictors.

We recruited a convenience sample of 504 participants (≥18 years) living with FMS. The main outcome variables included estimated expenditure on DS in the last 12 months in Norwegian kroner (NOK) and the differences between the groups of users and non-users of DS. Of the 504 participants, 430 reported having used DS, and the mean amount of money spent in the previous year was determined to be NOK 2300.

The most common DS reported were vitamin D, magnesium, and omega-3 fatty acids. The predictors of being a DS user were high education, high self-reported knowledge of DS but low overall knowledge of health claims. Users of DS marketed for muscles/joints appear to spend more money on DS. The increasing availability of DS and aggressive advertising in the media through health claims stipulate the need for interventions that lead to informed decisions about DS.

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/14/1/5/htm

Hutan, Milo, Midnattsol and 4 others like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If people taking dietary supplements had high education then it suggests that they may have higher levels of disposable income than people with poor education. If money is particularly tight then people are surely much less likely to consider spending money on dietary supplements.

3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have not looked at the paper itself, but one might expect time post onset and severity to also link to taking supplements.

Over the course of my ME, my maximum level of taking supplements was between two and four years into the condition, when I was trying everything and anything, but once I went part time at work the cost of alternative approaches, as @Arnie Pye suggested, became much harder to sustain. Also over time I have become less willing to squander limited resources on poorly or un- evidenced treatments.

As my health has deteriorated such that sustaining a healthy balanced diet became harder, also with difficulty getting to the doctor’s surgery for injections for my ongoing B12 deficiency (tried several times to get them provided on a domiciliary basis, but failed), I have started taking some supplements again not to treat my condition but to attempt to compensate for my poorer diet and limited access to medical support.

Similar factors may come into play in relation to Fibro.

4. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At least these aren't some arcane supplements.

Magnesium if skin absorbed and by-passing the gut (diarrhea, cramping) may be useful for pain.

5. Peter Trewhitt

I was wondering what is normal for any Norwegian population, particularly in relation to how far north they live and depending on the time of year, particularly with vitamin D.

Hutan, shak8, hibiscuswahine and 3 others like this.
  6. Mij

Some people with chronic illnesses have malabsorption issues, but how many get tested for deficiencies before they start taking supplements and assume they need them? I took mg/taurine injections weekly for almost 2 years. I went from feeling out of breath, shaky with a stiff gait to almost 90% improved. I was also deficient in B12, iron and vitamin D.

7. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

In the last population diet survey in Norway 47% of men and 58% of women used dietary supplements (the survey is from 2010/2011, there is another one coming this year or next). Unfortunately they don't mention what type of supplements are used, but only state that if supplements are included in nutrient analyses the intake of vitamin D, E and C increased for men, and for women Vitamin A, D, C and E and iron increased.

While vitamin D supplementation is recommended in all months with an "R" in it (that's all months except may, june and july), vitamin D deficiency is common.

Hutan, Trish, hibiscuswahine and 4 others like this.
  8. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

upload_2022-1-5_21-22-39.png
    Umm, I'm not sure I like these questions to test if someone has a good knowledge of "health claims".

Take question 6, while it is true that the latest Cochrane review on omega-3 and cardiovascular disease found no effect, this claim is allowed in Norway because guidelines have not been updated since before the Cochrane review (the review is poor, by the way). People will have been exposed to this claim from reputable sources. Regarding question 8, vitamin D (together with calcium) is recommended by many to improve bone health in the elderly.

I'm also on the fence on question 1, in Norway vitamin D is recommended to all adults, because it is simply not possible to get enough from the diet and for the northern part of the country there are few hours of the day a few months a year you can get adequate vitamin D from the sun. Most people will be at work those hours, and even if they weren't likely would wear too many clothes for vitamin D synthesis in the skin to efficient enough to supply the body with what it needs.

Edit: The discussion part just made me annoyed. Dunning Krüger effect. Really? When 1/3 of the questions are likely to be answered wrong by someone who reads government approved health advice in Norway? (They state the persons who use DS and claim to have good knowledge of DS also use reputable sources, and I assume our own dietary guidelines and advice will be among those sources)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Hutan, Arnie Pye, Mithriel and 5 others like this.
  9. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2300 NOK equals 260 USD or 330 CAD which translates to 22 USD a month which is fairly reasonable in my view. This is for FM patients. I would suspect ME patients spend more- that would be interesting to formally investigate this.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  10. Peter Trewhitt

When I was spending a maximum on dietary supplements in a vain attempt to treat my ME, some 25 years ago, I was spending (under the direction of a nutritionalist) some £80 a month, which using the Bank of England inflation calculator is the equivalent of about £160 a month now.

So taking this inflation calculation into account I was spending the equivalent of some 1,900 NOK a month or 22,800 NOK a year, so I agree with @Milo 2,300 NOK a year does not sound that much in comparison.

Now, I spend under £10 a month on B12, D, C and a generic multivitamin. The B12 is a self-prescribed attempt to manage an identified but not currently medically managed deficiency and the others are a poorly informed attempt to compensate for an inconsistent diet.

At the levels of expenditure in the study it is surely hard to distinguish cultural factors from attempts to manage a medical issue.

Tara Green, Mij and Milo like this.
  11. Milo

I am sorry for not including the £ and € value…

12. Peter Trewhitt

Not a problem, I think most people on this side of the pond have a rough idea of the relative values of the € or the £ to the $, but for me the NOK is a mystery that requires currency converters.

Milo likes this.
  13. Milo

Is Norway not part of the European Union?

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  14. Peter Trewhitt

Norway is in the European Economic Area, so it has to follow most EU rules, but it is not a full member of the EU. Having said that not every country in the European Union uses the €; the UK continued with £ whilst still in the EU, and Denmark continues with the Danish Krone.

Milo likes this.
  15. Mij

I remember the 90s before the internet when I spent 0$ and my health improved 90% on its own.

I took iron for low ferritin, so one supplement.