1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

United Kingdom - Thérèse Coffey appointed Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, Sept 2022

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by CRG, Sep 6, 2022.

1. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't believe she's letting people get antibiotics over the counter. This is gonna drive resistance. I can't believe she's serious.

Amw66, CRG and FMMM1 like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    CRG likes this.
  3. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's not as simple as the stroke of pen, there's a bureaucratic process to go through involving The Commission on Human Medicines For the Minister to not follow the Commission's advice would be a major political issue.

RedFox and Shadrach Loom like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've had antibiotics prescribed by a pharmacist and by an out of hours paramedic, in both cases after consultation with them, in both cases for urinary infection.

CRG and NelliePledge like this.
  5. SunnyK

SunnyK Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OK, someone mentioned CDC in a post in a thread I started, and I just assumed they meant the Center for Disease Controls, in the US!

Arnie Pye likes this.
  6. SunnyK

SunnyK Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry for my earlier post. Will be more careful henceforth!

7. CRG

The extension of prescribing regulations in the UK dates back to 2006 for pharmacists and some nurses, under the Independent Prescriber legislation: Pharmacist independent prescriber while the general principal of the nurse prescriber goes back to a 1986 report: Prescribing practice: an overview of the principles which in part led to the development of the Advance Nurse Practioner role . Both Drs and nurses working as paramedics who otherwise have permission to prescribe can do so while in a paramedic role, however as of 2019 suitably qualified paramedics of any training can prescribe: Paramedic prescribing - all of the these prescribing roles involve additional training, and some involve limitation on what medications can be prescribed in what circumstance.

The only significant limitation on access to basic prescribed medication in the UK is the cost of prescription for those not qualifying for reductions https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/prescriptions-and-pharmacies/nhs-prescription-charges/

Simbindi and Mithriel like this.
  8. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That would be such a relief to treat my repeated sinus infections (only use AB's if all my other methods fail).

9. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Further reading has shown that some pharmacists in Scotland and Wales have already trained to prescribe common drugs including antibiotics. The scheme is apparently working well as pharmacists are very aware of the problems of overprescribing and antibiotic resistance. In fact, someone said that they can be better than some doctors who have their favourites and turn to them too often.

I don't know about Wales, but prescriptions are free in Scotland so that is not a factor.

It sounded like any shop assistant could hand them over but that was bad communication.

Hutan, Simbindi, Trish and 2 others like this.
  10. RedFox

Liz Truss has resigned as Prime Minister. While speculating about the next PM is way beyond the scope of this forum, I'm wondering, does this mean the UK is likely to get a new health minister?

livinglighter, Wonko and Simbindi like this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Yes, and we should say no more!

Lilas, RedFox, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  12. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Aw...;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    Lilas, Wonko and Trish like this.
  13. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lilas likes this.
  14. RedFox

Then I hope whoever comes next will speak out about ME and LC like Sajid Javid did.

Wonko likes this.
  15. CRG

We shouldn't expect that and should not be disappointed if it doesn't happen, whoever is next in post - and we don't know even if any of the current Cabinet will be invited to stay in post, so no automatic change at Dept of Health.

The reality is that the UK is in an exceptionally 'stressed' situation politically and economically and the demands on the SoS for Health will be considerable over the next 12 - 24 months. What we can hope for is a positive response from the politicians when the DecodeME work comes to publication, until then getting ME/CFS high on the political agenda is going to remain a big ask.

livinglighter, Wonko, Lilas and 2 others like this.
  16. RedFox

I'm aware that we're far more likely to get someone who neglects ME, but one can hope. Also, yes, the UK is dealing with a lot, so I agree that ME isn't likely to come up for a while.

17. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of the big things its dealing with a massive amount of new disability in the form of Long Covid. The head in sand approach while Covid takes up at least 30% of all NHS resources and destroys peoples health so far really hasn't worked out too well. But even then I still don't think its likely any replacements or replacement governments are likely to care about this, Covid is over don't you know.

18. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

it was touch and go at one point that Coffey (being also Deputy PM) might stand in as PM:nailbiting:

eta: is there a 'bring back javid for health minister' campaign yet?

Binkie4, Wonko and Simbindi like this.
  19. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On a serious note, I wou1d just be happy to have a Hea1th Secretary who prioritises focusing on 'hea1th inequa1ities' again. A much broader and desperate1y needed remit that affects a 1arge proportion of the popu1ation, inc1uding PWME and other vu1nerab1e patients. TC she1ved the white paper on this, something Javid had promised to pub1ish and act on.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ey-scraps-promised-paper-on-health-inequality

livinglighter, CRG and Wonko like this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Personally, I'm for the cat. The cat did nothing wrong and that's more than most can say.

All hail the cat.

Missense, Sbag and Wonko like this.