1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Unemployment and work disability in individuals with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis: study from Spain (2019) Castro-Marrero et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by John Mac, Jun 28, 2019.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Study conducted by a Hospital CFS/ME unit in Barcelona, Spain.

https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-019-7225-z

2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks a potentially interesting study, but I am struggling to understand it at present.

I could not work out what is meant by ‘work disability’ independent of ‘work status’. Are they trying to distinguish between people unable to work because of their ME from people unemployed for other reasons?

Simone and ladycatlover like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This sounds interesting. This seems to suggest that the treatment that can reverse these symptoms might have the biggest impact on ability to work.

ladycatlover and ME/CFS Skeptic like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've had a quick look through it. They studied hundreds of patients with ME attending a clinic - lots of questionnaires. The outcome was that those not in work, or on extended sick leave, had slightly more symptoms and lower function. No surprises there - if you're sicker you're less able to work.

The conclusion focuses on the suggestion that this study can be used somehow to inform individualised rehabilitation strategies and workplace adjustments. They don't demonstrate that this is a feasible or appropriate approach or how the study would be helpful for this. Sounds too like AfME's approach to me.