1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Teach Primary Magazine: 'A heavy weight to carry' by Claire Tripp, 2019

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Trish, May 3, 2019.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yessica, ladycatlover, MeSci and 10 others like this.
  3. chicaguapa

chicaguapa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks. I’ve got a similar one coming out in Teach Secondary in July. They actually commissioned it first, but Teach Primary got theirs out sooner. The article was easy to write as it’s everything I wanted to say to my daughter’s school (well almost ;)).

Last year I got involved in a school’s decision to ban a student with ME from the prom because her attendance was too low and as a result the head teacher invited me to do some staff training on ME. It’s something I’d like to develop when I have more time.

My husband is a teacher so I have some insight and sympathy. But it breaks my heart that children with ME are being harmed by an unhealthy and inappropriate focus on attendance. It means the system in place isn’t fit for purpose.

In our case we were threatened with Children’s Services as I kept my daughter home, even though her 2-day CPET results later proved this was the correct approach for her. Even though my husband was a member of staff at the school. Work that one out!

Yessica, 2kidswithME, Joh and 23 others like this.
  4. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Brilliant article @chicaguapa , I have already sent it to our daughter (T/A in a primary) and asked her to distribute.

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Probably because he was on the staff @chicaguapa as they wouldn’t want others with any random illness saying oh well they were allowed to why not us

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

When my daughter got sick in the middle of her GCSE year I asked the school if she could drop a couple of subjects to make school manageable. The answer was no on the grounds that if they let her, they would have lots of others wanting to give up subjects too. As it happened her ME became moderate/severe very quickly and she never went back to school anyway.

I learned from that. When my healthy son was struggling with a subject that was extremely badly taught I simply told the school he wouldn't be turning up for the exam in that subject, so if they didn't want one of their brightest students to have a fail on his record, they would withdraw him from that subject - they did!

Edit: sorry, that was all pretty irrelevant. The article is great, @chicaguapa. Congratulations.

Daisy, Yessica, Hutan and 14 others like this.
  7. chicaguapa

No, it was their parting gift when he went to another school, a nasty letter accusative letter posted to us on the last day of term. Very cowardly.

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

People can be so nasty about anything to do with illness

9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Think this is the same article?
    https://www.teachwire.net/news/understanding-me-and-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-in-children

Yessica, Hutan, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  10. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. ringding

ringding Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for posting the article. I've shared it with my teacher wife...

12. chicaguapa

Thanks for posting it @Andy. I was hoping they’d put it online and now both the magazine and Teachwire have tweeted it as well. I’m sure this is because of the level of response to it on social media. My own tweet sharing the images (before it was online) has been seen over 13,000 times and has nearly 1,000 engagements. Much better that it’s shared by the magazines’ accounts though as they’ll have the target followers, so it’s great news.

13. chicaguapa

Excellent! There’s another one coming out at the end of June aimed at Secondary school teachers. The message is broadly the same but has more relevant language to resonate better with the target audience.

Yessica, Joh, ladycatlover and 8 others like this.
  14. ringding

ringding Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'll keep my eyes peeled for that then as my wife is a secondary teacher. I'll ask if she can circulate it to her colleagues as well. Thanks.

15. Amw66

I' ve emailed a link to our council " quality improvement officer." She was a secondary head and very good at responding to all things educational.

16. Amw66

@chicaguapa . There are subtle differences in Scottish system re additional support needs ( eg don' t have SENCOs , EHCPs etc - different support plans and roles and the whole GIRFEC agenda) -
    if following up with more detail, or in more depth for secondary it may be worth bouncing it off someone within/ with working knowledge of Scottish education system to pop in a couple of sentences if UK wide distribution

17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Joh, ladycatlover, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  18. chicaguapa

I’m pretty sure, having read the magazine, that it’s based around the English school system. That said, it’s worth me looking for a Scottish equivalent or asking the publisher if they distribute anything in Scotland. So thanks.

19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

20. Amw66