1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Sarah Myhill - 2015 Video: Chronic Disease - What's Really Going On

Discussion in 'General clinical care' started by InitialConditions, May 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This video is from a few years ago, from the Academy of Nutritional Medicine conference. We have in the first five minutes claims that ME, CFS, and fibromyalgia are 'not diagnoses' and of course the silly, totally unproven, equation ME = CFS + Inflammation.

It should be possible for her opinion on the etiology of these illnesses, and potential treatment pathways, without such gradiose claims. Everything is presented as though she's solved the puzzle. Everything is simplified to analogy and metaphor.

And then, of course, there is the ketogenic diet....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O_h4CUOm_0

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  2. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think there is a lot wrong with over simplistic thinking like this...it shows how different approaches to proper scientific research and GP practice can be. The GP wants all the answers neatly tied up in some rules that allow them to treat patients ...the absence of these rules then either drives them to make up convoluted new “rules” of their own or more simply, gives them a reason to just ignore patients.

I’m pretty sure I prefer the latter approach...as distasteful as it is. I find the former is just scary experimentation (in the very loosest of terms).

The black and white thinking she conveys has no place in real science.

Most of the content of her web pages (apart from those selling her books etc) are just theoretical musings ...totally unproven and in the most part just plain wrong/misleading/contradictory. I am actually quite thankful she doesn’t still practice in the NHS.

3. Annamaria

Annamaria Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have to say I would prefer Dr Myhill to my current NHS GP!

4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too, and I think Myhill is really unhelpful, misguided and likely to make things worse when she involves herself with PACE advocacy.

Tia, lunarainbows, Sarah94 and 2 others like this.
  5. MerryB

MerryB Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know how to say this tastefully (sorry), but I think Dr Myhill peddles pseudoscience. Whether that is her intention or whether she genuinely believes she is helping, I don't know.

But her website is full of unproven and potentially dangerous recommendations, simplistic statements that are pretty outlandish and based on obscure references, and lack of nuance.

I appreciate her advocacy efforts in challenging medical harm of ME patients.

But I do worry about the advice she gives so boldly and confidently, that really isn't that evidence-based (at least, not based on good quality evidence), and that usually recommends purchasing large amounts of expensive supplements.

I realise I might get shot down for criticising her work, but I don't think her approach is scientific.

Reading her coronavirus advice, as someone studying microbiology, makes me cringe.

6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If there had ever been any doubt that she is peddling phoney science this dispels it, certainly.
    I would not be surprised if there were legal implications.

7. InitialConditions

I'm on the Myhill 'followers' facebook group. It makes me audibly ghasp almost daily. I have a collection of screenshots of some of the most absurd posts on there. It's like pseudoscience bingo. Yesterday, in response to the coronavirus post someone linked to a guy claiming to cure it using sound therapy.

8. InitialConditions

Also, it's full of people (literally) shitting themselves because she advises taking insane amounts of Vitamin C. And they're really into iodine salt pipes, apparently. Awful.

9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

:emoji_duck:
    Copy and paste the link below if you want to follow it.
    Code:
    https://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Iodine_-_another_vital_multitasking_tool_that_should_be_a_household_word

10. InitialConditions

Yes, infections after surgery never happen! :thumbup:

Her explanations always conclude with a sales pitch.

11. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh my goodness. I had not thought that her advice was very dangerous as I hadn’t actually looked very deeply into her writing (I used to have her book but never got through it). But her page on Vitamin C is just unbelievable

shes advocating high forms of vitamin C instead of vaccination for childhood illnesses...

She’s saying when you or your child get an acute fever, you can take 10 grams of Vitamin C ie 10,000mg (max tablet strength in normal supermarkets is like 1000mg a day!). And that you can increase it up to 200g. 200g!! I’m pretty sure this can be very harmful to people and possibly kill some. Doesn’t it affect the kidneys? Have these sorts of doses even been studied conclusively? She’s just putting it out on her website that it’s not toxic. She’s also got lots of theories about why people need to take these amounts. Its really worrying that her word will be taken as true by some people with ME.

12. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you happen to have a link for this?

Thanks in advance,

13. lunarainbows

yes

https://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Vit...tool_well_–_the_key_is_getting_the_dose_right

“Vitamin C was the final tool that allowed me to tell my patients that vaccination is redundant since we have a far more effective, and far safer tool in vitamin C. With vitamin C we get the best of both worlds. Children can safely experience viral infections without risking the complications of such, but receive the vital, alive virus immune programming needed to protect against disease later in life, particularly cancer[1]. “

14. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @lunarainbows!

This is horrible.

I think it's important that ME advocacy distances itself from figures like her.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  15. lunarainbows

I agree, I think the same thing now.

16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

17. TheBassist

TheBassist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got kicked off that page for calling “bullshit”, as is my way

18. TheBassist

I see on her page the usual droning on about micronutrients and how every patient is unique and similar vague nonsense. Hopefully, this being a scientific page, someone can clarify this for me: if diet and lifestyle are not causal factors in ME, how can “treatment” focussed on them cure it? Secondly, if her “method” works, how can she be sure of it if literally every patient (of the 6000 she’s cured) is “unique”? Has she come up with 6000 ways to cure an illness with only one name? Apologies if this makes no sense, it’s only an irritated rant really.

19. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

The answer is that she's a quack.

20. TheBassist

If you want to really hammer yourself over the head with the car analogy give this a listen. I live Gary’s podcast btw, just this not this one
    https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-me-show/id1374903449?i=1000431004411

ladycatlover likes this.