1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Royal College of Physicians - doctor recruitment blunder, May 2018

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Suffolkres, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moderator note:
    This thread has been split from:

NICE guideline review: A list of appointees to the ME/CFS Guideline Committee has now been published

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44020235
    The Royal College of Physicians, which oversees recruitment, apologised for the "human error" and is working over the weekend to restart the process.

Doctors' union, the British Medical Association, said it was "appalled".

The junior doctors were alerted to the error just before 17:00 BST on Friday, at the start of the bank holiday weekend. Fellow doctors described juniors as being in tears.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2018
  2. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.bmj.com/content/331/7521/910
    A History of the Royal College of Physicians of London, volume four (1948-1983)
    If ever there was a candidate for the dustbin of history at the outset of the NHS in 1948 it was the Royal College of Physicians of London.
    By then (the starting point for this fourth volume of its history) it had long outlived its initial guild conception.
    Nor was it an educational college in the modern sense, or a pressure group, or a specialty body, or a professionals' trade union.
    Renowned for its disdain of general practitioners as much as for its distrust of laboratory medicine, this 430 year old relic of medical elitism was ill fitted to the democratised new healthcare system—cordial and profitable though the negotiations had been between its then president, Lord Moran, and NHS architect Nye Bevan.
    Essentially a gentleman's club with a well stocked cellar, it was tucked away in a building at the corner of Trafalgar Square and Pall Mall East (better known then and now as Canada House)—its home since 1825. It was without a medical or a college secretary, and there was scarcely a woman to be found among its 767 fellows.

3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

The RCP has the job of recruiting the NICE committee so nice to see they are good at recruitment.

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt, Joel and 4 others like this.
  4. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So the committee rewriting the ME guidelines is being recruited by the RCP even though if my memory services me correctly, they indicated that they felt the old guidelines were fine as they stood.