1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK - Resources for help getting food during quarantine and other supermarket related problems

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Sly Saint, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You crack them into a cup/bowl and mix them slightly then pour into ice cube tray. Preferably one cube per egg. Then use them for baking etc.

ETA: silicone moulds are best for removal. Pop them out and chuck in a ziplock bag.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    ladycatlover, Ebb Tide, mango and 3 others like this.
  2. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I can't understand it either. Yet again, the egg shelves in Sainsbury's were empty. I walked 2.5 miles to Waitrose today, to come away with only half a dozen eggs :( I think it's a combination of baking, panic-buying (still) and the recognition that you can keep eggs for a few weeks and make a decent meal with them if necessary.

3. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The egg shortage is bizarre because even if there is more demand from families, there should now be less demand from the restaurant and catering sector to balance this. I read that there is plenty of flour available as usually supermarkets only account for 2% of UK demand, the problem is the companies can't pack it into small 1-2 kg packets at a fast enough rate to meet the new demand from the supermarkets.

4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My husband just went to our local Tesco Express. When he came home he shouted up the stairs that he had managed to buy eggs! With further discussion it turned out that the shop had loads of eggs! Dozens and dozens!

How many did he buy? Six.

When I asked him why he hadn't bought a dozen he said he wouldn't panic buy and I shouldn't expect him to. (A typical response from my husband who loves winding people up, particularly me.) :mad:

alktipping, shak8, Wits_End and 8 others like this.
  5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Possibly time to replace him with an equal weight of live chickens :whistle:

(buying a dozen eggs isn't panic buying - I typically use 2 eggs a day, when I have them, this is my normal rate of consumption)

6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ditto for me.

The live chickens idea is actually feasible for me - one of my neighbours kept chickens for a while. Unfortunately they were killed multiple times by urban foxes, and were replaced every time until the owner couldn't stand the carnage any more. (I don't know why he didn't spend some time and effort on improving his chickens' security - the hen house was of very ramshackle construction.) The chickens encouraged rats and mice and I had to employ a pest controller after the birds were finally gone.

So, despite the fact he sometimes infuriates me I'll stick to keeping my husband. :D

7. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I buy eggs I like to get a dozen as one of my staples is to make a big sort of spanish omlette in my big frying pan with ham or bacon and lots of veggies which needs 8 eggs, which I cut into quarters, and reheat in the microwave, so does 4 meals. I boil the others for no effort food.

A friend told me this week that one of our fish delivery vans was now doing home deliveries.
    They used to stop at the end of my road and toot the horn, but I was never able to get my head round rushing out late afternoon to catch them.

But I've put in an online order for next week.
    As well as fish they are supplying veg, fruit and salad boxes of different sizes, eggs, cold meats, milk, butter.
    I'm moderate so can go for short periods up to a couple of times a week to local shops but can't carry much.

8. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I’ve just had another Tesco delivery

(trying to get the missing items from last week)

He said he’s just been to one of our coastal towns and they’re currently having an outdoor food festival! He said there’s around 300 people there! Even though the website says it’s cancelled.

seriously? o_O While people in my local park are harassed by the police for sitting down on a bench.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  10. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Call the cops! This really isn't on. :mad:

11. ladycatlover

Um, what I really came here to say is that for a number of years now we've been getting our fish from The Cornish Fishmonger. They're currently doing free nationwide delivery. I ordered about an hour ago and managed to get a delivery slot on 6 May.

I can personally recommend their smoked salmon (special treat once in a while, but they say can't be home frozen) and their fish is really good. While they are expensive, they haven't upped their prices like some places seem to have just to make a quick buck. Their prices do vary over the seasons - depends on availability of fish.

Delivery is in boxes with those frozen plastic packet things in them to keep stuff cool. You can choose how you want your fish (whole or filleted or sometimes more choice).

Disadvantage is some fish you have to buy a whole fish, rather than just a portion. eg plaice is a portion a fish. So is farmed sea bass. But brill (which we really like but which is expensive :eek:) you have to buy a whole fish, which is 4 portions. OH will split into 2 lots of 2 before it goes in freezer.

They do various fish pie mixes too, and some sauces for fish as well, but we haven't tried them. I imagine they'd be good though, if the quality of their fish is anything to go by.

Sorry for sounding like an advertisement! :rofl: :rolleyes: :rofl:

I also discovered that currently amazon seems a reasonable place to get some spices etc. Today bought pomegranate molasses and rose harissa for a roast cauliflower recipe. Plus some black garlic, which we first tried last summer and really loved, so thought would pick some up now ready for this summer. Watch the prices though, some are dearer than others!

12. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Since lock down I keep offering to use my delivery slot to have food delivered to my mam (and dad) but she keeps declining as I think she wants the excuse to go to the shops.

It would have been my way to repay her for getting my shopping for me all these years.

just found another way to deliver stuff instead. Using the ’just eat’ app, I had some fish and chips delivered instead hehe. She couldn’t say no to that.

I tried the app out for the first time last week and it seems really reliable and simple to use; and no phone calls required which is a godsend and it keeps you updated.

Also handy for getting some bread buns with order if struggling to get bread but definitely recommend Just eat app if anyone fancies any kind of take-away.

13. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

The guardian is starting to cover some of the issues
    https://www.theguardian.com/society...f-coronavirus-vulnerable-list-go-without-food

14. Hell..hath..no..fury...

15. ladycatlover

I think Frances Ryan actually gets it. :)

16. Hell..hath..no..fury...

After 22 years i think it will take quite a while for my reflex internal reaction to catch up

17. ladycatlover

OH is doing Tesco, and right now is on phone to Tesco help for vulnerable! Oh, it seems he has to wait 24 hours then log in and they'll register us as vulnerable within that time and he can then look for a priority slot!!!

We'll see how it works out.

Trish, alktipping and Invisible Woman like this.
  18. Hell..hath..no..fury...

That should be fine. It seems to be the protocol. I think I spoke to them at 12pm ish and it was activated the following morning when I logged in.

19. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

With Tesco, it is worth booking a slot when you see them available, then cancel or change it if not wanted nearer the time. They don't actually take the money until the night before the delivery is due, although they do check your card is valid each time you book or amend an order.

There are often no priority (or normal) slots available in my area with them. However, over the course of a few days I was able to book a slot for 3 weeks time, then one for a week's time (which actually came up days later than the more distant one). Both were priority slots so, unlike Sainsburys, Tesco seem to be offering theirs up to 3 weeks ahead.

Invisible Woman and ladycatlover like this.
  20. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I was considering doing this too, because currently there is nothing for 3 weeks but then I thought if everyone does this is this why there’s no slots? Slot hogging :laugh: it might explain why sometimes there’s nothing, then last minute one pops up like a last minute GP cancellation :)

It is a good idea though to ensure a slot is got.