1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Independent: 'The NHS is underprepared for a no-deal Brexit – and I am one of the thousands that might die as a result', 2019

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Trish, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...ipolar-medicine-stockpiling-a8855131.html?amp

See link for the rest of the article.

2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Note that this is from April, however I doubt that the situation has been addressed.

My MP is a cancer surgeon and has been highlighting the issue of supply with radio isotopes for the past 2 years,( which cannot be stockpiled due to the half life ).
    She was assured by the government earluer this year that supply parameters had been resolved, but no detail.
    It turns out, as of last week, that it hasn't .

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Moderator note:
    Please remember the topic of this thread is the possible consequences of a no deal Brexit on medical supplies, not the politics or politicians involved in the decision.

Rule 12: No religion or non-ME politics

Religion and politics are inherently divisive subjects, with limited relevance to ME/CFS. Accordingly it is not permitted to promote or critique any religion, spiritual belief, or the lack thereof. Politics may be discussed strictly in the context of ME, but must still avoid any generalizations about members or supporters of political parties.

MEMarge, alktipping and Sarah94 like this.
  4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For pwME any lack of medicines they are taking for some other condition has the potential to also impact their ME.

5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Uh, might as well go on with plan B already.

ladycatlover, Barry and Amw66 like this.
  7. Agapanthus

Agapanthus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I use a non-standard thyroid medication which is Liothyronine/T3 (due to underactive thyroid diagnosed pre-CFS), and which up until now I have been incredibly lucky to get on the NHS and have been T3 only for 7 years. The CCGs in some areas have made T3 completely unobtainable, so I can only see Brexit worsening this situation, as any excuse and all that........

It is difficult to know sometimes whether I have ME/CFS or whether I have a badly operating thyroid system as so many symptoms overlap with underactive. I have improved a lot of my symptoms over the years by my own investigations and experimenting with things, but I am left with a lot of fatigue and very limited stamina as i always hit a wall on these and I tend to push myself more than my body can deal with. I am of course worried that if T3 is hard to come by (and to worsen the situation, I don't respond well to one of the 3 T3 makes in the UK so the GP names the one I need for me). I am I admit stockpiling to some extent for fear reasons and have 3 months worth or so, and am ordering in from abroad now to protect myself in case of shortages. Without the thyroid meds I am used to, I fear I will go backwards very badly.

8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Best of luck with that then ...

Annamaria, Mithriel, rvallee and 3 others like this.