1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Guardian article: "Fatigue is an oppressive cocoon. It has made me seek joy wherever I can"

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"Four years ago, I caught the flu – and I am still stuck in bed, struggling to breathe. A bit like those with long Covid now, I developed postviral fatigue after a short illness. You could say I was into viruses before their mainstream second album.

Born with a muscle weakness, I was already familiar with the fragility of the human body. But the overnight change, post‑flu complications, hit me like a truck. In the early days, stuck on a ventilator and barely able to move, my brain was so traumatised that I thought my bedroom curtains were on fire. I didn’t even have curtains.

Fatigue is hard to understand until you have it. It is not tiredness or burnout. It is all-consuming, an oppressive cocoon that weighs down your body. For me, an energetic day used to be getting the train to work and drinking with friends until 1am. Suddenly, it was cleaning the back of my teeth."

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...cocoon-it-has-made-me-seek-joy-wherever-i-can

2. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like "Finding a health professional who accepts and understands post-viral illness is akin to tracking down a unicorn with a medical degree."

cfsandmore, FMMM1, AliceLily and 24 others like this.
  3. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me this is an excellent article article describing my experience since I first got sick. This could be me...except she is much funnier than I can be at the moment.

Happy to see this in a mainstream UK newspaper..

cfsandmore, AliceLily, Kitty and 14 others like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

5. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That was quite an emotional read.

Such a perfect description.