UK: Dr Nigel Speight

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Andy, Apr 21, 2024.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

A general thread meant for interviews, articles and such like.

Video podcast with Dr Speight, "Post-Exertional Mayonnaise: Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and a history of disbelief with Dr Nigel Speight",

Kitty, oldtimer, Sean and 12 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Timestamping 15:50

Kitty, oldtimer, Sean and 11 others like this.
  3. Turtle

Turtle Established Member (Voting Rights)

The first ME/CFS patient, a teenager back then, of dr. Speight, intervieuwing hiis own doctor.
    I only got through the first part. A very good historical bird's view.
    Just two psyschiatrists studying patient-files, written by others, probably very biased. They had not seen any of the patients personally.
    That's how the BPS hijack started.

@SNT Gatchaman do you think doctors can "unlearn" their beliefs just by reading the NICE guidelines, if they read them at all?

4. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I imagine it's something of a normal distribution. To me it underlines the importance of teaching this accurately in medical school (back to the way I was taught, just as BPS was on the rise).

rvallee, Kitty, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

but basically NICE have hammered the last nail into the coffin of the biopsychosocial theory."

If only. Unfortunately the BPS infestation has gnawed a hole in the bottom of the coffin is re-emerging zombie-like in various shallow disguises.

rvallee, NelliePledge, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  6. Turtle

Turtle Established Member (Voting Rights)

On the other side of the world you must have an abundance of patience.
    6+ years of study, another 6 years to have a vacancy here. Me getting into that practice even more. By the time he/she would be ready for an appointment with me, I would have learned so much more from you and all others on s4me that I stilll would know more than my doctor.

Maybe a shortcut? Rob Wüst or others finding something no doctor can ignore?