Closed UK: DecodeME updates, was recruitment thread.

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Andy, Sep 12, 2022.

1. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I sent my second spit kit off, hope it works. Its my life's ambition to be a data point...

Fizzlou, Sid, Hutan and 16 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

If you haven't sent it yet, there are 9 days left to get your spit kit in the post. We still have over 3,900 kits yet to be returned to us, so we are hoping for a last minute surge.

yannlk, Ash, RedFox and 8 others like this.
  3. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Useful to have that figure. I’ve just shared that on Twitter, Mastodon, Bluesky, Threads, Facebook and Instagram.

Ash, Eddie, RedFox and 6 others like this.
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @Tom Kindlon could i trouble you to pls share a link to your fb post - so i can share it. My brain is just mush & i cant for the life of me think how to find it or copy from a twitter post

5. Tom Kindlon

Initially I had just shared a DecodeME post with the comment. But the information about the 3900 kits could get removed if re-shared so have now posted it as a new post here:

Or go to my Facebook page:

Kitty, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  6. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @Tom Kindlon

I may have asked you before... if so apologies i am muddled

Kitty, Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Tom Kindlon

No problem at all. There are always new people come along anyway who may not be aware of my page.

Ash, JemPD, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Last day to post your DNA sample kits, if you haven't done so already!

Hutan, Kitty, Peter Trewhitt and 5 others like this.
  9. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had two main problems with the questionnaire:

There was no option to say that one had stopped taking a drug or supplement quickly because it had adverse effects (sometimes serious, resulting in hospital admission).

There was no option to say that depression was no longer a problem.

I submitted the comments to the Decode ME email address.

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  10. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I was stuck with Loratidine for example. I took it in summer for over 5 years but it caused upper respiratory tract infection recurrence every year so I stopped taking it when I realised what was happening. So it was more than three years but is not ongoing. You could say the effect stopped but that was because I stopped taking loratidine! So that option would convey entirely the wrong information so the best answer seems to be to say it is ongoing, as it would be if I took it again.

However there should be an option to say it was stopped due to side effects and its confusing to mix period of effect modulated by accommodation to a treatment (i.e. effects wearing off either negative or positive) with period of treatment curtailed due to side effects in the same panel. There is no way to distinguish them.

I felt uneasy about the treatment of depression and other potentially psychogenic conditions as well, looked very much like a gift for BPS psychologists to datamine, with an option for ME patients to blame the ME as a sop.

Sorry, not trying to be mean, just felt a little like an elephant trap.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
  11. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had some difficulty with questionnaire 2 but took the view that I should just do the best I could and complete it. It was harder to complete and took longer.

One question in particular baffled me- I think it was qu15- and I did send a comment to the study who replied saying my comments would be passed on to the team.
    I just send the team my best wishes and hope that my answers were accurate enough.

Hutan, Jacob Richter, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

A reminder that if you haven't completed the second DecodeME questionnaire and have been invited to do so then you only have until the end of this month.

MeSci, MEMarge, RedFox and 5 others like this.
  13. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

The team must surely be amassing so much useful information about how to run a GWAS for ME/CFS (and a GWAS in general, and an ME/CFS registry, and all sorts of associated things). Even if not every question could be perfect, they will now know so much. And that will be partly down to the people who took the time to say, 'yeah, question 15, what's the story there?' or some equivalent. And of course partly down to the team for listening.

It bodes really well for future good research.

14. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If DecodeME provides good results, I wonder if there would be any benefit to an even larger GWAS in the United States or the US plus several more countries. We have a larger population to pull from. Also, I wonder if it would help that we're more racially diverse. There might be genes that are risk factors for ME but only common in non-European populations.

EzzieD, boolybooly, MeSci and 7 others like this.
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Replication would always be a good thing and is something that we are proactively talking about with researchers who have access to existing datasets - however there isn't a well defined nationwide genetic dataset from the States, so for what it is worth we would support the establishment of one.

EzzieD, Comet, boolybooly and 6 others like this.
  16. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just thought I'd post the reply to my comments, which came quite late:

"Dear *,

Thank you for your message and for accepting the invite to complete the 2nd questionnaire.

Thank you too for your feedback, I will pass your comments on to the team.

Unfortunately we cannot change the questionnaire at this stage, but will bear your comments in mind for the future .

If you have any further questions, please do let us know. We will be happy to help"

17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Social media post on the various DecodeME accounts.

"Thank you to everyone who completed the #DecodeME second questionnaire. We have received over 15,200 responses. We will work on analysing the data and will share the findings with you when we can."

18. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That seems like a very good response rate. Well done DecodeME team!

19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Thanks, yes, we consider that a marvellous response rate for a second, optional, questionnaire.

SNT Gatchaman, Tia, Lindberg and 12 others like this.
  20. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent. I think pwme are very committed to Decode. If only the NIH had involved the patient community prior to the study in the way Decode has.

SNT Gatchaman, Tia, rvallee and 12 others like this.