1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Closed UK: DecodeME updates, was recruitment thread.

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Andy, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, email is dated yesterday evening, but didn't check my mail until this morning.

Binkie4, RedFox, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  2. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apparently there was a problem extracting my DNA so they are sending another kit. I am glad they are checking!
    Gah I hope it works the next time. I was worried I overfilled the tube.

Binkie4, Ebb Tide, RedFox and 5 others like this.
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got my mail saying they'd been successful yesterday too (sample sent October). I wondered if there's sometimes a lag between the samples actually being analysed and batches of email going out. Anyway, it's good to know I can now tick it off my stuff-that's-not-yet-resolved list!

MeSci, NelliePledge, Ariel and 6 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I sent my sample mid January and also got an email today saying it worked ok.

MeSci, Ebb Tide, Ariel and 6 others like this.
  5. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just got my email today too. Very pleased to hear they've managed to extract my DNA!

MeSci, Ebb Tide, RedFox and 7 others like this.
  6. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I received an email yesterday evening timed 9pm. Excellent that DNA has been extracted.

Tia, MeSci, Ebb Tide and 7 others like this.
  7. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i got my email yeserday too. am delighted to have contributeed :emoji_blush:

Tia, MeSci, Ebb Tide and 7 others like this.
  8. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Communications and Engagement Manager
    The University of Edinburgh - CMVM / MRC Human Genetics Unit
    Salary: £36,333 to £43,155
    Hours: Full Time
    Contract Type: Fixed-Term/Contract
    Placed On: 23rd March 2023
    Closes: 20th April 2023
    Job Ref: 6939

Fixed Term Contract until August 2024

We are looking for a skilled communications professional to lead on the delivery of top quality, creative and engaging content and recruitment of participants for the DecodeME project, the world’s largest study of ME/CFS.

The Opportunity:

The DecodeME research partnership is a collaboration between researchers and people with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), carers and the public.

The Communications and Engagement Manager will be a key component of this team at the University of Edinburgh’s Institute of Genetics and Cancer.

This role will be responsible for advising on and delivering DecodeME’s strategic priorities, specifically on how to engage and communicate with study participants. This role will create and implement a communications strategy, create content and manage diverse study promotion channels and activities, working side-by-side with PPI (patient and public involvement) members, charities, and UoE Comms and PR teams.

https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/CYM399/communications-and-engagement-manager

Hutan, Andy, sebaaa and 9 others like this.
  9. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I looked for a short sentence explaining that severely affected are included in DecodeME.

Brain-fogged, it took me a while to note that in the FAQs, providing the sample is under a different column than signing up, where only the questionnaire is mentioned.

Still didn't find a sentence that had the info I was looking for in the FAQs but from different other places on the website now hope it's OK to word it like this:

"Also severely affected can take part -- from home, even while lying in bed. If you're very severely affected, you might need someone to help fill in the questionnaire and if you're housebound, you need someone who takes the Freepost with your sample to an ordinary postbox to send it."

Could someone who has participated let me know if this is accurate?

Also any suggestion on better wording would be highly appreciated.

@Andy tagging you to suggest to the DecodeME team to add a first sentence to the FAQs also in the signing up column along the lines that yes, both filling in the questionnaire and providing the sample is designed to include severely affected. And after the details about the questionnaire, add under which columns more details about the sample (spit kit) can be found?

Also if it's correct that you can take part while lying in bed, perhaps explicitly add that?

10. Ariel

Does anyone know how long I should wait for a replacement spit kit before contacting them?

Andy, Peter Trewhitt and Binkie4 like this.
  11. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My note that DNA had been extracted took a long time to come. In Feb, I wrote to ask if they had been able to use the sample/say I was willing to repeat it and had a reply straight away saying they were working on the samples, then in mid March had a letter that the DNA had been extracted.

From completing the questionnaire in Sept to receipt of the DNA acknowledgement letter took 5-6 months.

Maybe you already know that you are being sent a second spit kit? If that is the issue, sorry I can't help. My impression is that parts of the process move quickly and others very slowly. Hope that the numbers are building up.

12. Ariel

Yes I recently received a message about the same time as everyone else except instead of saying it has been extracted they said they are sending another kit.

MSEsperanza, MeSci, Andy and 3 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

@MSEsperanza I'll pass your suggestions and observations on to the team.

As Binkie notes, some parts of our sample system work quickly, others parts not so much. In general, the parts that work quickly are the ones directly under our control, while the slower parts are where we have to rely on organisations such the Royal Mail and the UK Biocentre.

While we are using Royal Mail's small parcel service that is meant to deliver within 48-72 hours, we are seeing delivery delays of up to 5 weeks. So we ask that anybody expecting to either receive a spit kit or paper questionnaire, or confirmation of receipt of a spit kit or paper questionnaire sent back to us, to allow 4 weeks or so. After allowing this time, the best way to chase something up is to email the team on info@decodeme.org.uk.

We appreciate that this sort of length of time is frustrating for all; we continue to try to improve this side of things but unfortunately our options are limited.

And a final note about extracting DNA from the samples. We are seeing an extraction failure rate of approx 10% from all samples, which seems to be similar to that experienced by other GWAS, and can happen for a variety of reasons.

Hutan, MSEsperanza, Binkie4 and 8 others like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

15. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read the summary. It's pretty interesting. I wish the Decode team the best, and I hope we find significant results.

MSEsperanza, Hutan, Dolphin and 5 others like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Exciting, and relieving, to get to this next step.

"The first batch of DNA from #DecodeME participants is on the way to @thermofisher to begin analysis. Thank you to for all the recent positive messages. It’s great to see this stage of the study get going! #pwME #MECFS There is still time to take part: rb.gy/okh"

Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=695948769199886&set=a.128908609237241

MSEsperanza, Hutan, Tia and 16 others like this.
  17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

18. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry, I’ve not managed to keep up with this thread. Can someone tell me the latest numbers are on participants?

Is this published someone on the site?

I think this may have been discussed before but has the team considered putting a running total on the site?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    Sid, MSEsperanza, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  19. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As of January, over 17,000 people had completed their questionnaire and over 9,000 were asked to give a sample. That's the most recent update I know of. For context, they want the DNA of 25,000 total pwME. Not everyone is asked to give DNA, perhaps due to comorbid conditions etc., but the answers from the questionnaire will be the biggest ever survey on ME and contain valuable information.

Sid, MSEsperanza, ahimsa and 6 others like this.
  20. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Redfox has kindly posted the last public update we have made on the participant figures above; I've asked for an update on the current figures and will come back when I have that.

We don't publish a running total on the website. As far as I know it wouldn't be possible to automate it, so it would become another task, albeit a minor one, for our team to process. Unhelpfully I can dimly remember that we did discuss publishing a running total, but can't remember the detail of that conversation; as we didn't action it my assumption was that it was felt that it wasn't a priority for us to implement.

Frankly, we don't get, or otherwise see, many enquiries at all about the numbers participating, so there doesn't seem a substantial need for it. I'm happy to be convinced otherwise though.

Hutan, Sid, MSEsperanza and 8 others like this.