1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Closed UK: DecodeME updates, was recruitment thread.

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Andy, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Got my confirmation too today. Sent 21 October, so it's only taken four and a half weeks to arrive! Still, it got there eventually ... hopefully they can successfully extract DNA from it now.

FMMM1, Binkie4, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

We are currently experiencing technical problems with the #DecodeME questionnaire portal. It is being investigated and we will let you know once it is resolved; in the meantime, apologies to anybody inconvenienced by this.

RedFox, NelliePledge, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"We are live again!

You can now register https://bit.ly/3VAvjla to take part in Decode ME Study study.

However, there may be a delay in receiving notification at the end so thank you for your patience!"

4. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Andy- am I right that the DNA is extracted in the UK, then sent toSan Francisco for another process? (I hope I haven't made up the bit about San Francisco).
    Is that where the genome is sequenced?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Just outside, Santa Clara.

Yes.

6. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Webinar recording and transcript – Taking part in DecodeME – 16th November 2022 webinar.
    https://www.decodeme.org.uk/webinar-recording-and-transcript-taking-part-in-decodeme/

Some initial data from the questionnaire.

"Over 90% of you report brain fog; nearly 90% of you say that your symptoms are disabling; nearly 90% of you say that you have headache, eye pain or migraine; nearly half of you also report IBS; a third of you report fibromyalgia; and some auto-immune conditions appear very infrequently, which I was quite surprised by.

Slide24.jpg

This is probably the largest survey of lived experience of people with ME worldwide and I wanted to show you these results that came to me on Monday morning as soon as I could. This morning we had a meeting with the MRC and the NIHR, funders of DecodeME, to show case to them how important these results are. That information essentially now can go back into the funders, into the UK CRC, Department of Health and Social Care process, to make sure that informed decisions are taken going forward based on the evidence.

You describe your illness in these ways:

Mostly fluctuating, worsening, relapsing, and remitting. Very few, unfortunately improving. This is a very sobering set of data that’s captured your lived experience and it is a message, as I said, that needs to go to the very highest level, how devastating ME is to most."

Slide25.jpg

sebaaa, ahimsa, Trish and 13 others like this.
  8. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Andy thank you for sharing, it will be very very interesting to see the full questionnaire results when completed.

Obviously the larger the sample the more reliable it will be, but given participants are self selected does the study include any consideration or quantification of how representative a sample it is.

ahimsa, Lilas, Tia and 2 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

All we are doing at this stage is presenting preliminary data, and our focus has been on launch and recruitment, so my awareness of what additional comparison with previous cohorts or calculations to show how representative our cohort is, is frankly non-existent at this stage, so I'm afraid I can't give you an informed answer.

Lilas, Tia, RedFox and 1 other person like this.
  10. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is the bar for 'disabling' an error?

11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

In what way?

12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I wondered whether it was meant to be disabling fatigue.

13. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, most of the symptoms are disabling, aren't they? It just seems a strange thing to cite.

14. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My understanding is that in the first bar chart (‘The lived experience’) is the number of individuals reporting the various additional conditions/symptoms and in the second (‘Illness described as’) what is indicated is the percentage reporting that pattern. So the bars are not indicating any measure rather percentage of people.

(Sorry if I am just confusing things more.)

15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    Binkie4, MeSci, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

FMMM1, RedFox, Tia and 4 others like this.
  17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From Rowland Manthorpe, Sky News tech correspondent on Twitter,
    "Not sure what to get the person in your life with ME/CFS for Christmas? Here's a suggestion: send them this link so they can sign up for DecodeME, the giant genetic study to uncover the causes of ME/CFS
    Firm results from this will be the best gift of all"

Hutan, FMMM1, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  18. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I expected that GWAS studies (plural or singular) would have been run in thyroid disease --- seems difficult to treat thyroid disease ---- good reasons for doing a GWAS study i.e. separate from ME/CFS.

Peter Trewhitt and RedFox like this.
  19. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sure this question has been asked --- is there a target date to publish results? Is publication/release of data dependent on reaching a target e.g. 20K participants?

MeSci and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  20. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The top result from a Google search on "gwas thyroid disease", Genome-Wide Association Studies of Autoimmune Thyroid Diseases, Thyroid Function, and Thyroid Cancer

Our target date is as soon as possible, balanced against wanting as many samples to analyse as possible. As I understand it Chris believes that we are likely to be able to release some preliminary results some time around the middle of next year.

No, we will publish the analysis of whatever number of samples we are able to get. The more samples we have, the more likely we are to find something and the more confident we, and the research community, can be in what we find. So the more that the community can help us to reach those who haven't taken part yet the better for everyone.

Hutan, RedFox, MeSci and 6 others like this.