1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Council Tax and potential discounts

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by Andy, May 16, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I was reading an interview with Martin Lewis (the Money Saving Expert) and he highlighted a council tax discount that might be useful for pwME (dependent on your circumstances).

"Discounts for severely mentally impaired people

You might be able to apply for a discount on your Council Tax bill if you or someone you live with is severely mentally impaired.

You’ll need to:
    • get a certificate to say you’re severely mentally impaired from a medical professional, such as your GP
    • prove your eligibility for certain benefits - check with your local council
    What you’ll get

You’ll get a 100% discount if you qualify as severely mentally impaired and one of the following applies:
    • you live on your own
    • the only other person you live with is a carer (and they’re not your partner, spouse or child under 18)
    • any other adults in your household either qualify as severely mentally impaired or are full-time students
    You’ll get a 25% discount if you live with someone who qualifies as severely mentally impaired and either:

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/discounts-for-disabled-people

Obviously a lot will depend on your chances of getting the certificate of being severely mentally impaired (i.e. how much brain fog and other cognitive issues affect you and your relationship with your GP) but if it helps one person it will be worth me having posted this.

Hutan, Kirsten, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder how many GPs will just decline to engage with the issue. For example my GP practice refuses to engage in any way with PIP applications, though hopefully they might see this as a less complicated issue.

alktipping, Wonko and Andy like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Sadly all too many, but I do see some people say that they have a good relationship with their GP, and that their GP is willing to support them with such things.

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. Kirsten

Kirsten Established Member (Voting Rights)