1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

uBiome Receives Patent for Diagnosing ME?

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by horizoncfs, Dec 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. horizoncfs

horizoncfs Established Member

Is Ubiome introducing a new biomarker or diagnostic for ME?

"The patented technology involves diagnosing an endocrine system condition such as chronic fatigue syndrome, Graves’ disease, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, metabolic disease, obesity, and Type I and II diabetes, and generating a therapy model using biological samples from uBiome’s proprietary database."

https://www.prweb.com/releases/ubio...endocrine_system_conditions/prweb15995198.htm

DokaGirl, Andy, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Patents are written to cover as many applications as possible. It doesn't mean that uBiome knows something that we don't.

3. Patient4Life

Patient4Life Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder which criterion they are using. If it is Fukuda, forget it. And, since it says CFS, I bet it is.

ladycatlover, DokaGirl and Trish like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

MEMarge and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

My reading of this, which may be wrong, is that the thing they are patenting is their database of microbiome data, presumably derived from samples from patients with these conditions.
    Edit: and any tests they develop using the database??

MEMarge, adambeyoncelowe and DokaGirl like this.
  6. horizoncfs

horizoncfs Established Member

I wonder how they even know? I have used Ubiome multiple times and it has never asked me if I have CFS.

andypants likes this.
  7. Hip

Hip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think we can say that Fukuda is inferior to the CCC and ICC.

The ICC and CCC tend to select ME/CFS patients with more severe impairments (and also select for patients with more psychiatric comorbidities) compared to Fukuda; 1 2 but in some ways that may put the ICC and CCC at a disadvantage, in that they may miss the milder cases.

Moderator note:
    This post has been copied to a new thread in the Diagnostic Guidelines sub-forum:
    comparison-of-diagnostic-criteria-discussion-thread

Subsequent posts on this topic have been moved to the new thread. Please continue any further discussion about diagnostic criteria on the new thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2019
  8. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just because it is patented doesn't mean it works, there are for example hundreds of patents for perpetual motion machines.