1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Two symptoms can accurately identify post-exertional malaise in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome 2023 Davenport et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

BACKGROUND:
    Post-exertional malaise (PEM) is the hallmark symptom of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) yet its diverse manifestations make it difficult to recognize. Brief instruments for detecting PEM are critical for clinical and scientific progress.

OBJECTIVE:
    To develop a clinical prediction rule for PEM.

METHOD:
    49 ME/CFS and 10 healthy, sedentary subjects recruited from the community completed two maximal cardiopulmonary exercise tests (CPETs) separated by 24 hours. At five different times, subjects reported symptoms which were then classified into 19 categories. The frequency of symptom reports between groups at each time point was compared using Fisher’s exact test. Receiver operating characteristics (ROC) analysis with area under the curve calculation was used to determine the number of different types of symptom reports that were sufficient to differentiate between ME/CFS and sedentary groups. The optimal number of symptoms was determined where sensitivity and specificity of the types of symptom reports were balanced.

RESULTS:
    At all timepoints, a maximum of two symptoms was optimal to determine differences between groups. Only one symptom was necessary to optimally differentiate between groups at one week following the second CPET. Fatigue, cognitive dysfunction, lack of positive feelings/mood and decrease in function were consistent predictors of ME/CFS group membership across timepoints.

CONCLUSION:
    Inquiring about post-exertional cognitive dysfunction, decline in function, and lack of positive feelings/mood may help identify PEM quickly and accurately. These findings should be validated with a larger sample of patients.

Open access, https://content.iospress.com/articles/work/wor220554

Simone, shak8, ahimsa and 9 others like this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Inquiring about post-exertional cognitive dysfunction" may well not identify everyone who is suffering from post-exertional cognitive dysfunction, as they might not even understand questions!

I haven't read the whole thing, so maybe there is some way to compensate for this.

shak8, Sean, merylg and 7 others like this.
  3. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lack of positive mood is interesting. Often I enjoy doing stuff that gives me PEM. If I exercise I feel quite good during the PEM delay. Once I get PEM, there's a modest tendency to be in a moderate or bad mood. If PEM affects our moods, why? Is it the effect of PEM on the brain, simply because PEM is disappointing, or is this even a useful question to ask?

Cognitive dysfunction and loss of function are the most crucial elements of PEM to me. I feel quite tired, but everyone experiences fatigue to some degree. But ordinary activities depleting your energy to the point of confusion or debilitation is unique to ME.

MeSci, obeat, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  4. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The immediate problem I see is that these factors are all unmeasurable; they depend on personal judgement. I don't see it being all that much more reliable than just asking people whether they consistently feel worse after their usual triggers.

Isn't there a significant risk of harm to PWME from CPETs? How many people might go from moderate to long-term severe while doing this study? "First do no harm!"

MeSci, shak8, Sean and 4 others like this.
  5. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trish, Peter Trewhitt, Sean and 2 others like this.
  6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

PEM affects gut here ( motility slows, food intake decreases but can have acute carb craving due to low energy state )
    Gut key to providing basis for neurotransmitter functionality ?

Peter Trewhitt, obeat and RedFox like this.