1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Two new research projects received funds from the Norwegian ME Association May 12th

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Kalliope, May 15, 2019.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Norwegian ME Association donated on May 12th funds for two research projects.

One of the research projects is by Fluge, Mella and their team. They want to try and find more objective ways to measure changes in patients enrolled in clinical trials by continuous measurement of physical activity.
    The have received 100 000 NOK (8800 GBP, 11000 USD, 10200 EUR) for a pilot study which will monitor the activity of 15-20 ME patients over a period of 6 months. The goal is to make a foundation for continuous registration of physical activity levels as possible end points for new randomised trials.

The other research project which received support is by prof. Kristian Sommerfelt. He is a a paediatrician and neurologist working at the children's ward at Haukeland university hospital. He received 250 000 NOK (22000 GBP, 28000 USD, 25000 EUR) to start a project which will follow the clinical development and metabolic parameters in children and adolescents with ME from the ward. The study will include approximately 45 patients who developed ME before turning 15 years and 50 patients who previously have received an ME diagnosis. Blood tests will be added to Haukeland's biobank.

Here are video greetings from the researchers where they give a short explanation of the projects (in Norwegian).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io_BT6a0i6o

Here is an article from the Norwegian ME Association about the projects
    Tildeling av forskningsmidler fra ME-foreningens innsamlingsaksjon "ME-forskning" 2019

Atle, Snow Leopard, Louie41 and 25 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

That's two really useful projects, covering ground that we have been talking about here on S4ME lately - continuous monitoring of physical activity and disease course in young people with ME. Good on the Norwegian ME Association for making great use of a relatively small amount of funding.

Atle, Louie41, lycaena and 9 others like this.