1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mestinon

Discussion in 'Orthostatic intolerance treatments' started by andypants, Feb 15, 2019.

1. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I convinced my GP to let me try Mestinon about 18 months ago, but never got as far as actually trying it until now. I have been holding off because I didn't want to muddle the results by starting it too close to my last rtx dose or while I was starting out on LDN.

While LDN is extremely helpful in reducing pain and the intensity of PEM, POTS or OI of some sort are among my more debilitating symptoms, so I'm hoping that Mestinon might help even just a little bit. Seeing as I'm spending most of my time in bed atm, any increase in activity should be easy to spot.

I will be tracking activity levels and HR every day using my Polar HR monitor and my Oura ring (I do that anyway). Starting carefully on just 15 mg to make sure that I tolerate it and will build slowly from there. I've started this thread to track this n=1 trial :) Feel free to share your own experiences with Mestinon here, or anything else that might be relevant.

DAY 1: 15 mg. Feeling a little bit jittery, but that could just be the coffee.

Will report back in a week or so, or whenever there is something to report.

MerryB, roller*, Binkie4 and 20 others like this.
  2. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good luck @andypants, I hope it helps.

I'm glad the LDN is helping with pain. A dear ME friend has very severe neuro pain, allodynia, is it this sort of pain which the LDN is helping?

Binkie4, Mij, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  3. Raci2000

Raci2000 New Member

I’m on Mestinon, started it in December, has really helped with some symptoms (tachycardia, pots and anxiety) I was lucky enough that it seems to improve IBS too, but I find if I go as high as my gut would like I get more mast cell symptoms. I think it’s competing with ketotifen. Still tinkering with dose. Still bedbound though....was hopeful initially ially it might get me up, but looks like not sadly.

Yessica, Lisa108, Binkie4 and 6 others like this.
  4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @andypants, for your post about this. I hope the Mestinon really helps!

Sorry it hasn't helped @Raci2000 as much as hoped and expected.

It will be interesting to see Dr. David Systrom's study on OI/ME/Mestinon when it comes out.

Good luck with the Mestinon, @andypants!

Mij and andypants like this.
  5. andypants

Yes, that is exactly the kind of pain it seems to be most effective against for me. After the first couple of weeks when it made me slightly worse and disrupted my sleep it has also been more or less side effect free.

Not a lot of data on this, but from what I can tell it's 50/50 who find it helps and not. My father's girlfriend takes it for FM and has been helped immensely.

Thank you for sharing your experience! I know Mestinon can affect the use of a long list of other medications, among other things immune suppressing drugs which is why I wanted at least a year between the last rtx dose and starting Mestinon. I'm not familiar with ketotifen, but you should ask your doctor about that. Glad Mestinon gave you a boost, even if it didn't get you out of bed at least you are hopefully less miserable staying in it :hug: I would be interested to hear how you get on after another month or two :)

6. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, that's really good to know, I'll pass it on to her.

DokaGirl and andypants like this.
  7. Squeezy

Squeezy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good luck, @andypants! I really hope the mestinon helps you get out of bed to enjoy the spring, when it arrives in Norway :hug:

andypants likes this.
  8. PaulaKnight

PaulaKnight New Member

Does anybody know of a UK cardiologist prescribing Mestinon? I was hoping to be referred to Dr Jamie Fulton in Plymouth from Bristol but I've just found out that he's retired. Apparently he's coming back part time but won't be able to see people out of the area. I've been waiting for this appointment for months so I'm really gutted. Bristol cardiology recently said they are unable to do it because the pharmacy won't let them. Any info welcome even if it's private doctors. Thanks.

9. andypants

DAY 18: A short update.

Dosage increased to 3x 15 mg per day. Increased again to 3x 30 mg from today.

Had a little gastrointestinal discomfort when I took it on an empty stomach, but this was easily resolved by taking it with some food. After a few days I could go back to taking it on an empty stomach. The same thing happened today when I increased the dosage. I do get a bit jittery when I increase the dosage, but that too resolves after a few days.

I have been slightly more active in the last couple of weeks, but I think it's too early to tell if there is any connection with Mestinon. I have been home alone most of the time as Mr. Pants is away a lot these days, and that will often make me more restless and wired because my routine and sleep are disrupted. We're also really starting to see a big shift in hours of daylight now, which I know from experience will affect my energy levels positively.

One very clear effect is that the incessant need to pee at night is completely gone. This could be affected by my diet too, I have been working my way back to keto and a smaller eating window this last month. Still, it stopped completely from the first day on Mestinon. In any case this is a big improvement.

No noticeable effect on cognitive abilities or brain fog.

NelliePledge, Hutan, Simone and 4 others like this.
  10. andypants

DAY 31: Update

Current dosage: 3x 45mg (135 mg daily)

The side effects continue to be few and small, mostly making me a little jittery when taken on an empty stomach but little else. However, the effects of the drug appear to be nonexistent, and so I have decided to discontinue Mestinon from today. I know some people take as much as 180 mg, but since I haven't felt any effect at my current dose it seems unlikely that another 45 mg would make a difference, at least in my current state.

It will be interesting to see if I notice any changes coming off it, but I doubt it. Will report back if I do experience anything. I will possibly give it another chance during the summer when I'm usually more on my feet, but for now this trial is concluded:)

Conclusion: no clear effect for andypants!

Ash, RedFox, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Hutan, Yessica, ahimsa and 1 other person like this.
  12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for letting us know @andypants . The null reports are every bit as important as the positive ones .

13. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This might be good to be aware of if trialling pyridostigmine/mestinon:

Pyridostigmine brain penetration under stress enhances neuronal excitability and induces early immediate transcriptional response
    1996, Friedman et al

They show in mice subjected to a forced swim protocol
    So, exhaustion could make the blood-brain barrier leaky, and markedly affect the incidence of unwanted neurological side effects. This was a suggested mechanism for the higher than expected side effects in the Gulf War. There was obviously a lot going on in the Gulf War, but the change in dose required for an effect on the brain in the mouse studies is remarkable.

(I have only read the abstract.)

Ash, Snow Leopard, Trish and 2 others like this.
  14. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ahimsa, Hutan, voner and 1 other person like this.