1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial By Error: Re-visiting My Questions for PACE Professors

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Having lost my laptop on Swissair I was prompted to dig around in old laptops with dead batteries. Heathrow found my current laptop (after I had bought a new one, which I am arguing I needed anyway) but I discovered one of the old ones from 2015 would work despite no battery if connected to mains.

So I revisited some emails from a PACEish person I received then. (I have backed them up on my Time Machine now.) Dr Wessely asked to keep the content confidential but he expressed his view on methodology very clearly. We agreed to differ.

2kidswithME, Barry, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  2. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If he had agreed with you ,he might have had to tear up the 800 papers he has authorship of.

Skycloud, MEMarge, Trish and 2 others like this.
  3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Barbara Oakley in her book "Cold-Blooded Kindness" discusses the way that psychopaths use pity and being a victim as a way of manipulating people. Something in the way our minds work lessens our critical functions in this situation to the extent that examining a person's claims can be seen as an attack on them. Martha Stout in "The Psychopath next Door" also said that looking to be pitied was something that psychopaths she interviewed used.

JellyBabyKid, MEMarge, Inara and 4 others like this.
  4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed, its one of the many tactics bullies use to maintain their power.

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

didn't know which of the PACE threads to post this on.

just thought it was a neat concise point out of key probs with PACE

[​IMG]

6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given the Covid 19 situation, and the implications for possible ME/CFS (or ME/CFS-like) resulting illness for some patients, there will presumably be considerable interest amongst scientists into past papers on the subject. PACE of course will loom large, and scientists new to it need to understand the context, and to not be beguiled by its supposed eminence.

Re-reading your blog post again @dave30th, "Trial By Error: Re-visiting My Questions for PACE Professors" ...

http://www.virology.ws/2019/02/13/trial-by-error-re-visiting-my-questions-for-pace-professors/

... it seems to me an excellent lead-in for scientists to appreciate the true horrors of "PACE science". It's not ramming anything down anyone's throat. It simply asks salient questions that any decent scientist reading it will think "well yes, those are very good questions ... so what are the answers?" Seems to me an excellent first primer for scientists new to PACE into critiques of it.

Is there any way to get this blog post visible such that scientists newly discovering PACE will also see this particular blog post?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not anywhere near as optimistic as that. Nothing is going to change until we have some understanding of the pathology.

Michelle, ladycatlover, Barry and 4 others like this.
  9. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this will differ from country to country. It's possible that in the US, where no one has heard of ME, now seeing Dr Fauci talk about ME and CFS, people will now be curious about it and reporters will start looking around and wondering why it remains unsolved, and it will make the CBT/GET/PACE failures relevant to more people than they are. maybe