1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial By Error: New Biopsychosocial Study of Fatigue in HIV Patients

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

http://www.virology.ws/2020/03/02/t...sychosocial-study-of-fatigue-in-hiv-patients/

ahimsa, Michelle, Barry and 30 others like this.
  2. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In a way, this could be good news. If other diseases get fed up of poor quality research, it could raise awareness of problems in ME research.

Hutan, glennthefrog, MEMarge and 15 others like this.
  3. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I told my HIV+ friend about the research -- he said, dripping with sarcasm, "Oh, so that's why my fatigue disappeared when I switched one of my HIV meds. It corrected my dysfunctional thinking."

Hutan, Michelle, Barry and 32 others like this.
  4. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know the history of this thing, but why are these groups funding her group?

@dave30th Have you invited her to respond to your criticisms? Can you petition the journal to release the peer-review comments? EIC seems to be a bit of a self promoter (you google).....

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  5. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be great if psychologists with HIV would challenge her.

Sean, Michelle, glennthefrog and 9 others like this.
  6. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But if fatigue is a medication side effect that would mean physicians might feel bad about themselves and the drug industry might risk lawsuits. It's so much better to just agree that the patients are to blame for fatigue.

7. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm still waiting for them to expand into the automotive business... we've discovered that the people with most unreliable cars are the ones that spend the most time worrying about them, we propose that treating this symptom focusing will make the cars work better.

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

At some point they will stick their fingers in a pie too far - could HIV be the one? Let’s hope so.

Hutan, glennthefrog, Anna H and 12 others like this.
  9. large donner

large donner Guest

It all depends how slowly the frogs are boiling, especially in non contentious diseases like AIDS or MS.

My feeling is the PR job on convincing the whole world that they are a bit mentally ill is miles ahead of the almost invisible resistance that the definition of mental illness is now almost meaningless.

People almost seem to lap it up and egg it on. The other problem is that huge numbers of people don't understand that neurological and psychological are not the same thing
    and many more will take the, "interface of psychiatry and neurology", notion at face value completely unquestioningly and in general for everything medical.

Then there's the stress can cause....... (fill in the numerous disease categories).

Behaviorialists are everywhere in media and on TV and people absolutely buy into them and hang on every word they say.

Most people now have zero ability to critically reason and if you asked them to source or cite a claim they made they look at you as if you are nuts and/or rude.

Most peoples response to, "how do you know that what is the evidence for it," is "it was on the news".

Everyone is entitled to an opinion has now become zero evidence is required to make a claim and its those who bring evidence to an argument that are the pariahs.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  10. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

BPS types may well claim that his fatigue must have been due to a nocebo expectation response to the previous medication! Switching to a new medication without any negative mental associations allowed his mind to lift the fatigue!

The amount of people in my and adjacent age groups who think that everybody should get 'therapy' is rather appalling. It's its own sort of 'woke' groupthink phenomenon.

11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was watching a repeat of Simon Reeves in Russia (on the BBC) and he visited a place called Tuva where the inhabitants go to a local shaman who, although in full traditional costume, is set up in an office with a waiting room etc much like a GP. He was 'curing' a man of alcoholism.

I'm sure most viewers would have found it ridiculous....and yet(?)
    hmm makes you think.

12. NelliePledge

There’s a lot to be said for having someone who isn’t a friend or relative, boss or colleague to talk to about stuff that you’re finding hard, grief for example - all those people have their own agendas. I have been talking to a counsellor regularly every 4-8 weeks for over 10 years. My mental health is a lot more normal than my physical health I see it as a preventative measure.

Legend, Kirsten, glennthefrog and 7 others like this.
  13. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

You can always create a new narrative to give about anything a psycho-social explanation. So handy!

Sean, glennthefrog, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  14. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you think they realise the possibility for category errors in declaring everything to be biopsychosocial? Probably even injuries sustained from a blow with "a heavy, blunt instrument" must be considered interpretable as biopsychosocial.

15. Anna H

Anna H Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of course, they are the essence of biopsychosocial!
    They would naturally focus on the psychopathology of the person administering the blow to the head and the thought patterns and beliefs of the injured person that lead him or her to socially engage with this person....

The head injury itself probably gets aggravated by excessive worrying and symptom focusing, and should you need surgery you'd better believe you're going to make it, or the outcome might not be that favorable.
    ;):wtf::confused:

16. glennthefrog

glennthefrog Established Member (Voting Rights)

this is funny and enraging at the same time, because it's so true! I've been hearing "the medication doesn't work on you because yo don't believe it will" for 22 years! I always respond, "well, I don't believe cyanide will work, does it mean taking it won't kill me?"

rainy, ladycatlover, Legend and 11 others like this.
  17. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This argument always amuses me.

Confession - until I got ME (or yuppie flu as the papers informed me) I didn't really believe in it. I wasn't a b***** about it, I didn't really think about it at all. I just knew what the papers printed.

Turns out I don't have to believe in it to have my life turned inside out and upside down and watch 22 years of fulltime education, plus 10 or so years of building a career go down the pan....

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Sean, rainy, glennthefrog and 14 others like this.
  18. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. NelliePledge

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Legend and 2 others like this.