1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial By Error: Letters to Fiona Godlee and Nigel Hawkes

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Feb 18, 2019.

1. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is perhaps worth recalling that this is not the first occasion on which difficulties have arisen, or should have arisen, over BMJ editing of a piece by Nigel Hawkes. The links to the 2011 article are posted above. However these do not disclose the full absurdity.

Here is the critical paragraph

I regularly go to see a lawyer on the Medical Defence Union,” says Professor Wessely. “They say, ‘Yes, it is a gross libel. But if you took them to court, they’d love it. They’d get what they want.’ I did get an injunction against the person who was comparing me with Mengele. That was a particularly nasty example, because my grandparents may actually have been murdered by Mengele—they were transported to the camp where he worked and never seen again.

One can see that given the family history this would be a matter of extreme sensitivity. The natural inference from the paragraph quoted is that, at the time, not only had SW an outstanding injunction against a person who posted these references, but the injunction related to the comparison with Mengele. This is all understandable, although it would appear to conflict with the advice supposedly given by his lawyers, and supposedly accepted by SW.

What the on-line version of the article does not reveal is the photograph published in the print copy. This is a photo of SW with, superimposed what would appear to be a screenshot from an internet site. The caption reads

Simon Wessely and an example of one of the
    many offensive emails he has received

The image makes distasteful and offensive comparisons with Mengele. I do not propose to include them.

There are problems as to whether what is displayed is in fact a copy of an e-mail actually sent to SW as claimed. The main problem, however, is slightly different, but quite obvious. The claim seems to be that of all offensive material allegedly sent to SW, the one thing that made him take out an injunction, presumably to prohibit further publication of the slur, was the comparison to Mengele. So the BMJ apparently goes right ahead and republishes it.

Appearances may of course be deceptive and may be intended to be. It may be that any alleged injunction concerned different material, possibly from a different author. Indeed, earlier in the article it suggests that the Mengele references were made on the internet. The reference to e-mail might therefor be intended to indicate that this is something different. However if this reference was so offensive that it warranted an injunction, it should not have been published by the BMJ. If it was suitable for wider publication either the alleged injunction should not have been obtained, or there should be greater clarity in the text to explain the anomaly. The average reader should not be expected to deconstruct every phrase and interpret every word to gather the meaning, especially if they have no reason to think that the article is plainly representing anything other than a true picture. The point of the article seems to be to say that there is some material so offensive that it should not be seen, and here it is.

It would probably be reasonable to absolve SW of blame for this. The suspicion must be that this occurred at a late stage in the editorial process. One is tempted to wonder whether SW considered taking an injunction against the BMJ...……(that was a joke, by the way).

Amw66, Inara, Sean and 4 others like this.
  2. chrisb

I know this is a bit late. That's the speed my brain works at.

The creatures of the knight.

Amw66, Arnie Pye, obeat and 2 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was thinking (sad I know) last night how MS looks like a potential Bond villain, probably prompted when I saw SPECTRE on the TV guide, and into my head popped:
    Vexatious
    Incompetent
    Researchers
    Undermining (or unbecoming)
    Science

VIRUS "a harmful or corrupting influence"

(or the IT variety a piece of code which is capable of copying itself and typically has a detrimental effect, such as corrupting the system or destroying data)

ladycatlover, Barry, Snowdrop and 4 others like this.
  4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Sly Saint
    LOL. Coupled with the Bond reference that was a laugh out loud moment. And as you point out equally relevant as code.

Brilliant.

I love this one.

Sly Saint likes this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1115970316986138625

The BMJ's open data campaign

May 13
    Fiona Godlee

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-bmjs-open-data-campaign-tickets-60191978829

Trish, Esther12, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. chrisb

The editor is on the ball. The bottom right hand box was edited out. It read "Vainglorious"

andypants, Barry and BurnA like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean, Chezboo, andypants and 4 others like this.
  9. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Open data for all except those nasty ME/CFS patients who need to shut up, go sit in the corner and be grateful for CBT/GET.

Sean, Chezboo, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  10. fivetowns

fivetowns Established Member (Voting Rights)

CBTmasons? They have the all the cultish, secret handshake, favour for a favour cronyism of the masonic lodges- all they are missing are the funny aprons.

andypants likes this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Speaking of open data, I don't know if this was already known but this interesting comment from Coyne, would really like to know more about "lawyers got involved".

https://twitter.com/user/status/1118543049729163264

Inara, Chezboo, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The hypocrisy of the BMJ is breathtaking, and more than a little disturbing. :grumpy:

rvallee and Trish like this.