1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial By Error: Crowdfunding, Week 2; and more Sharpe and Chalder

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Andy, Apr 15, 2019.

1. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@alex3619

I totally agree. The PR machine is what's been behind the whole CBT/GET for ME paradigm for decades. Influence and affluence, not robust scientific endeavour.

2. DokaGirl

So...Lost in Space..."Warning, warning alien approaching."

Speaking of "lost in space", even if the usual medical authorities classify IBS as MUS, commercial treatments in the form of probiotics abound on the TV. As a long time IBS sufferer, I can attest that reputable brands of probiotics do help.

And, egad, how bizarre to coach IBS sufferers with explosive diarrhea to resist running to the bathroom. That's cruel. Apparently the CBT/GET brigade want to control people from top to bottom - pun intended.

Inara, Starlight, Mithriel and 15 others like this.
  3. Tilly

Tilly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You need to add Functional Neurological Disorder (FND) to the long list of what to look out for. A lot of patients are being re-diagnosed with it. The mail Yesterday did a piece on a young girl with head injury that was diagnosed with it once and recovered with CBT. Unfortunately she had another blow to the head and suffer more problems.

As far as I'm aware FND is under dissociative neurological symptoms disorder in ICD-11

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...ft-18-kayaking-world-champion-wheelchair.html upload_2019-4-16_8-43-32.png

DokaGirl and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. daftasabrush

daftasabrush Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ironically, the FND comparison of a computer with software that does not work actually DOES fit a number of physical conditions, including hypokalemic periodic paralysis and normakalemic periodic paralysis ...

The full version of this post has been copied, and subsequent posts discussing it have been moved, to this thread:
    Periodic Paralysis, myotonia, channelopathy and ME

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2019
    DokaGirl, Wonko, Hoopoe and 1 other person like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's why I don't understand why other researchers/scientists/other interested in scientific integrity
    have let it go on for so long.

The most outspoken of those 'in the field' of psychology/psychoanalysis/psychiatry etc who criticise IAPT largely base their arguments on their own preferred 'flavour' of CBT, /psychoanalysis.
    (eg Dr Mike Scott, or Oliver James).
    That said, it's good that people like Brian Hughes and Carolyn Wiltshire are questioning the methodology used in psychotherapy research.

If mental health and 'physical' health are to be integrated and given equal footing (as is happening and what MS and SW etc want), then surely their research should also adhere to the same standards.
    At the very least there should be some kind of objective outcomes as a prerequisite.

The difficulty, I guess, is highlighting the issues, not in a 'psych vs physical' context but in the interests of people with either mental health issues or 'physical' conditions getting the best and most appropriate treatment.

The way things are going, unless the fundamental flaws in behavioural research methodologies are corrected, the system is failing both.

6. Estherbot

Estherbot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is a well run ME group in Oxford called OMEGA. I spoke to a couple of committee members. They'd love to host a talk by you @dave30th taking on Michael Sharpe

Maybe on one of your future trips to the UK.

They would make sure you are very well looked after. :)

7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think Michael Sharpe would probably prefer to leave the country rather than take part in any form of debate.

Starlight, 2kidswithME, Barry and 8 others like this.
  8. DokaGirl

So...just hyposthesizing about the new/old ideas for IBS therapy and what a newspaper headline might look like: Psychiatrists Want to Control Your Bottom Line.....

Other more forthright papers could have fun with that, and be even more descriptive.:):wtf:;):(:banghead:

Sean, 2kidswithME, Arnie Pye and 3 others like this.
  9. DokaGirl

OK, someone's already said this right?

Lost in PACE!

:):wtf:;):(:banghead:

Tilly, Starlight, Sean and 13 others like this.
  10. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good one! I haven't seen it. But I don't know if it would work for UK people. Would it? Do Brits know Lost in Space? Well, it wouldn't work for anyone under 60 maybe either!

11. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well I should be back in June...would love to set something up. Who do I talk to? I need to develop a new talk or at least expand into MUS, I think.

Inara, Tilly, Starlight and 14 others like this.
  12. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We got Lost in Space. And the new one on Netflix. And the one with Matt Le Blanc.

MEMarge, DokaGirl, andypants and 2 others like this.
  13. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My sister, who's in her late 40's, only 7 years younger than I, had never heard of it, didn't even know who robbie the robot was and that was in everything for ages.

It would appear to be a generational thing.

DokaGirl and Arnie Pye like this.
  14. Estherbot

I'll pass on the message :)

DokaGirl, MeSci and MEMarge like this.
  15. Estherbot

@dave30th sent you a private message with contact details.

Hope something comes of it :)

16. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From my youth (which is a loooong time ago). 60s was it?

17. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Late 60s (65-68 according to google).

I probably saw it in the late 70's, that's ITV for you, always showing cutting edge TV.

MeSci, DokaGirl, NelliePledge and 2 others like this.
  18. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep, that fits.

DokaGirl, MEMarge and Wonko like this.
  19. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

They seem to think that being full of shit is a good thing.

MEMarge, Atle, Inara and 15 others like this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(this comment is NSFL)

How to get from psychological projection to fecal projection in one simple step.

MEMarge, Inara, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.