1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling tips anyone? (car)

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Mattie, Apr 18, 2018.

1. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Allele I think you may be on to something.

I haven’t tried it yet for driving, but I use BCAAs after other demanding activities to limit the backlash. I’m planning to use it during and after my next car trip to limit fatigue and PEM. Will report back (next weekend probably).

I combine a BCAA mixture with Taurine (GABA precursor) and L-Theanine and L-Tyrosine (dopamine precursors) that help to not only lower serotonin and cortisol but help with relaxation and calm. No guarantee it will help with driving but it probably won’t hurt either.

alktipping, Indigophoton and Allele like this.
  2. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m trying to think of ways you could limit vibrations (I feel like that’s a big part of the overstimulation effect), but it’s not easy in a moving vehicle.

I seemed to do slightly better in an electric car, I’m assuming because of less noise and less vibration.

Maybe a foam mattress to absorb some of it? In something slow moving I would suggest a hammock but that’s hardly appropriate in a car.

3. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the early stages of my illness I struggled to travel 5 minutes in the car as a passenger.

These days I can manage road trips. We have accepted that it will take longer to get where we want to go.

I can go up to an hour and a half before I need to stop and rest. If I push on further I start to crash.

At the rest break I use a cheap fold up sun lounge, a pillow and a blanket. It really makes a difference. We set up anywhere there is a nice park or just somewhere off the road. A rest and some food and drink then off we go again.

After another hour and a half we stop overnight. When we arrive I go straight to bed and rest.

For me the extra time it takes to get somewhere is worth it. Such a joy to travel.

Binkie4, Indigophoton, Mattie and 3 others like this.
  4. Mattie

Mattie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes you can! We are renting it out nowadays. ;)
    Tried Klonopin. Did not help. Maybe at a higher dose it would, but I am in the last phase of tapering the stuff because of the nasty side effects and interdose withdrawal.

Allele, Indigophoton and Yessica like this.
  5. Mattie

Mattie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last trip we did was in our Tesla. The reduction in noise is nice, but in terms of movements/vibration it's not very different.

Best solution would be Hyperloop. Faster and less shaky than car.
    But it may take some time before we'll have that from door to door.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  6. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Mattie - so much good advice on here already...but two things I would add: I would break the journey with an overnight stop. I know it's tempting to get the journey ' out of the way', but actually some time not moving and just recharging could be helpful.An overnight stop could also be a fun thing too.

I find taking Arnica 30 two days before and two after is helpful. It is the remedy for 'bruising' and dental/ medical procedures, but is also good for anything that shakes things up.

I would also concentrate on being proactive to calm the nervous system- lavender oil, chamomile tea, protein snacks every couple of hours. I don't know if you have dysautonomia, but even if not, I would drink electrolyte along the way.

I don't know how long you can get away from, but I would always have the first day there for recovery.

Good luck!