1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Transforming Growth Factor-β: An Agent of Change in the Tumor Microenvironment, 2021, Stuelten et al.

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Mar 31, 2023.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Transforming Growth Factor-β: An Agent of Change in the Tumor Microenvironment
    Stuelten, Christina H.; Zhang, Ying E.

Transforming Growth Factor-β (TGF-β) is a key regulator of embryonic development, adult tissue homeostasis, and lesion repair. In tumors, TGF-β is a potent inhibitor of early stage tumorigenesis and promotes late stage tumor progression and metastasis. Here, we review the roles of TGF-β as well as components of its signaling pathways in tumorigenesis. We will discuss how a core property of TGF-β, namely its ability to change cell differentiation, leads to the transition of epithelial cells, endothelial cells and fibroblasts to a myofibroblastoid phenotype, changes differentiation and polarization of immune cells, and induces metabolic reprogramming of cells, all of which contribute to the progression of epithelial tumors.

Link | PDF (Frontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology)

Peter Trewhitt, alktipping and Hutan like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This is interesting. So potentially some methods of measuring TGF-B, maybe the methods that chop proteins up into little bits, might not accurately report the activity capacity of the protein?

alktipping and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  3. SNT Gatchaman

Some quotes that may be relevant more widely than malignancy —

alktipping and Hutan like this.
  4. SNT Gatchaman

This could relate to PEM. Lowering the pH with lactic acidosis, shear stress on the ECM with activity? Do we have papers on TGF-β before and after exercise? (Especially 4, 24, 48 hours).

alktipping and Hutan like this.
  5. Hutan

Also interesting. Ugh, there's so much to know and remember. I think I've read and written about integrins before.

Activation of TGF- B1 by integrins is an important method of activation.
    Traction force mediated release is one important mechanism of this.
    One type of integrin is 'tethered to the actomyosin cytoskeleton' and it can also tether the latent TGF-B complex to the actomyosin cytoskeleton.
    The TGF-B complex is also tethered to the extracellular matrix.
    Actomyosin generated traction forces lead to the shape of the complex changing, and the release of the TGF-B. They note that a stiff matrix allows for more efficient TGF-B activation.

Crosspost with SNT.

alktipping and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  6. Hutan

Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 11.05.40 am.png

Here's an image of part of what is going on, for those of us who remember better with a picture. Sorry about the size but I think it is worth it. (I think they meant integrins, not ingretins.)

This is from a 2022 paper with the interesting title of
    The Love-Hate Relationship Between TGF-β Signaling and the Immune System During Development and Tumorigenesis

The pink knuckle bone shaped molecule is the TGF-B. It's locked up by the turquoise LAP molecule. But, when the complex is anchored in a suitable environment, actomyosin contractions sort of spring the trap, causing the LAP to disintegrate (the little bits of turquoise), releasing the TGF-B. The image above shows two different ways this can happen. It is all just amazing stuff.

What relevance this has to us, if any, I do not know. But I do recall the feeling when walking up a slope or bending down and stretching my hamstrings, that rapid and unnatural feeling of fatigue in the muscle. I wonder what it feels like to have TGF-B released in muscle. Could it act that fast?

Trish and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  7. SNT Gatchaman

Which might relate to the sometimes comorbid "hypermobile EDS". From Fascial thickness and stiffness in hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (2022, Am J Med Genetics, paywall) —

Hutan likes this.
  8. SNT Gatchaman