1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Transactivation of human endogenous retroviruses by tumor viruses and their functions in virus-associated malignancies, 2019, Chen et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Hutan, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

https://www.nature.com/articles
    Open access

Jungang Chen, Maryam Foroozesh & Zhiqiang Qin

Abstract
    Human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs), viral-associated sequences, are normal components of the human genome and account for 8–9% of our genome. These original provirus sequences can be transactivated to produce functional products. Several reactivated HERVs have been implicated in cancers and autoimmune diseases. An emerging body of literature supports a potential role of reactivated HERVs in viral diseases, in particular viral-associated neoplasms.

Demystifying studies on the mechanism(s) of HERV reactivation could provide a new framework for the development of treatment and prevention strategies targeting virus-associated tumors. Although available data suggest that co-infection by other viruses, such as Kaposi’s Sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) and Epstein–Barr virus (EBV), may be a crucial driving force to transactivate HERV boom, the mechanisms of action of viral infection-induced HERV transactivation and the contributions of HERVs to viral oncogenesis warrant further studies.

Here, we review viral co-infection contributes to HERVs transactivation with focus on human viral infection associated oncogenesis and diseases, including the abilities of viral regulators involved in HERV reactivation, and physiological effects of viral infection response on HERV reactivation.

ukxmrv, Colin and alktipping like this.
  2. Hutan

So, it looks like infection with a virus e.g. EBV can create an environment that activates human endogenous retroviruses to produce proteins.

I thought this was good when read alongside Activation of endogenous retroviruses during brain development causes an inflammatory response, 2021, Jönsson et al which was posted today. That paper suggests that activation of HERVs in neurons can result in microglial activation.

I think there have been some papers looking at HERV proteins in people with ME/CFS. I don't think we've seen anything remarkable yet, but I find it an interesting idea.

ukxmrv and alktipping like this.
  3. Hutan