1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Today’s Best Practice Will Be Rubbished Tomorrow" (CFS and CBT/GET mentioned briefly)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Tom Kindlon, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow. that might the first academic reference to the NICE draft in this context of moving beyond outdated practices. The BJGP has had some slip-ups in the area of "medically unexplained symptoms," courtesy of Carolyn Chew-Graham.

3. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wonderful to see it expressed in that way in an 'establishment' journal, instead of the usual framing of ME sufferers as anti-science militants! A voice of reason, for a change. I do hope that sentence stays as is, and is not modified or deleted by someone making a quiet phone call to the editor...

MEMarge, JemPD, Michelle and 15 others like this.
  4. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fantastic to see. Thanks for sharing!

MEMarge, alktipping, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Yes, nice to see but the author then goes on to say
    I'll always vote for any treatment I receive to have an actual effect, rather than being given something that is just meant to fool me into thinking that there has been an effect, whereas the author seems to be advocating for a different approach.

2kidswithME, MEMarge, JemPD and 10 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the author reveals his own muddled thinking pretty much throughout. Every medical student should be in a position to write this article - rather better. Fortunately the author is now retired!

I am afraid I think this is another example of how the people who like rabbiting on about quality and evidence are the very people who tend to cause the problems.

MEMarge, JemPD, Michelle and 10 others like this.
  7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would have liked something added to this, some reference that attempts to silence patients and gaslight them has served to hold back progress in this field.

With a conclusion that patients should be heard and not just seen in future.

MEMarge, JemPD, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hutan and Andy like this.