1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

To cure my chronic pain, I had to learn about the links between mind and body - Guardian article, 1 Jul 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by fossil, Aug 13, 2019.

1. fossil

fossil Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(Not a recommendation.)

To cure my chronic pain, I had to learn about the links between mind and body.
    The Guardian 1 Jul 2019

The BPS model of chronic pain proposed by Sarno, unresolved trauma etc, is what Howard Schubiner et al are suggesting is also applicable to ME/CFS. (As I have mentioned in other threads.)

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/01/chronic-pain-links-mind-body-brain-physical

2. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'Central sensitization' is certainly becoming a popular buzzword.

Woolie, ladycatlover and Annamaria like this.
  3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It makes one want to tell them to get off their assonance.

4. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dear The Guardian
    FFS!!! Please stop writing unhelpful articles about health conditions! The last thing patients need is someone telling them that if they delve into their childhood issues it will heal their pain! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

"...Particular psychological and personality traits are risk factors for chronic pain conditions. Some vulnerable individuals, they suggest, learn to filter emotions and actions “through the lens of pain”. An interplay between early lifetime and environmental and epigenetic factors appears to be at work."

For the record: Chronic pain is not fussy, it affects people with all types of experiences and from every walk of life, from the emotionally vulnerable, to the emotionally robust. Yes, the connection between mind and body is really important because when they are able to help us to cope better, and still have a life.

The mind is a Great Tool...as is the person who keeps commissioning these articles!!!:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Yours sincerely,
    in bed, in pain.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The lesson learned from the debacle of cancer personalities, blaming people dying of cancer on their shitty attitude, was simply to find a new target population, keeping everything else as is.

Some people have high pain sensitivity. Others have very low. But it couldn't possibly be that. Noooo, it's their shitty attitude.

6. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

if they ever get around to understanding the complex chemical factory that the human body is all this philosophical bs will disappear .history will not judge our present day medical institutions kindly .