1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tinnitus poll: Do you experience it?

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Andy, Mar 24, 2018.

Tags:
?

Do you suffer from tinnitus that can't be attributed to a particular cause?

1. Yes

80 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, me.

I have "ordinary" tinnitus which I've had for decades. It's a high-pitched whine that never goes away, although it can worsen or get better at random intervals for no reasons I've ever identified. In recent years I had a hearing test which was disturbed by the tinnitus - the audiologist could tell that I was responding to my own tinnitus rather than the sounds she was sending into my ears. She could even tell what frequency my tinnitus was. I actually adapted to this tinnitus quite quickly. It was distressing for a while but since it isn't a noise that belongs in normal life, and nor does it occur during normal speech, I could learn to ignore it quite easily.

A few years ago I developed a new noise - a low pitched drone - and this can occur in normal life and so my hearing was disturbed as a result. It made me suicidal for a few weeks, but thankfully I learned about using water and wind sounds at night to cover up the tinnitus. Once I could sleep again my suicidal feelings went away. I'm still conscious of the low-pitched noise, and it still interferes with my hearing but it no longer has the power to drive me mad.

I also have eustachian tube dysfunction, particularly badly in my right ear. My ear feels full, often it feels as though it is under pressure, it hurts-but-doesn't, if that makes any sense. It is uncomfortable. At its worst I also hear crackles and pops. The treatment for this condition is steroid nasal sprays which I've tried several times. It's almost 100% useless for me. It reduces the crackles and the pops for a few days, but does nothing about any of the other symptoms, and certainly doesn't improve my hearing in that ear.

The pulsatile tinnitus - I have no idea when that first developed. A long time ago, I think. I assumed for many years that everyone could hear their heartbeat, and it would get louder if they did something that raised the speed of it - a few seconds of running, going up flights of stairs. If I get really physically stressed - walking up a hill, for example - my heartbeat gets so loud that it drowns out everything else. But even while sitting in a chair doing nothing physical, I can hear it. It never stops, obviously. Along with all these other issues I can hear myself chew so loudly that I can't hold a conversation during a meal. There have been a couple of occasions when I can hear my own blinking. Edit : And I can hear myself walking - my own footsteps prevent me having conversations too.

I suffer from communicating hydrocephalus. This was discovered by accident about 5 - 6 years ago, and scans showed that it was long-standing, and most likely developed in the womb, during infancy or childhood. I now wonder if it is the cause of some or all of my ear-related problems.

What I really want, in the short term, is my eustachian tube cleaned out. And I wonder whether I will recover any hearing in my right ear if I got it done. But I don't know how to persuade a doctor that this needs to be done.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  2. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Little Bluestem likes this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Check medications " ringing in the ears" is a defined side effect for some meds

Little Bluestem likes this.