1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tick bites may be preventable with Canadian invention

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Alvin, May 16, 2018.

1. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/n...ersity-science-lyme-disease-atlantick/101548/

2. svetoslav80

svetoslav80 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got bitten by one for the first time a few days ago. I was feeling better and went to the forest to walk a kilometer or two, but the weather was rainy and the ticks are active when it's raining. I was wearing long trousers and only stopped once in the forest for just a while to tie my shoes, but it still managed to get on me somehow. I only saw it when I came home, on my knee. But I took it out soon enough (maybe it was on me 1 or 2 hours, I'm not sure), and I took doxycycline right after that.

3. chicaguapa

chicaguapa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lyme's is rife in our area (New Forest) and I think the GPs around here automatically prescribe antibiotics if you get bitten by a tick. I often wonder why they don't just test the tick, but I guess it's not that simple.

Invisible Woman, andypants and Trish like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lemongrass (lemon oils) and eucalyptus have always been pretty effective in natural bug repellents. I'm glad their formula has sent the ticks 'running' and that Health Canada is serious about this. You would have to spray it on your hair too, which kind of ugh.

5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have removed a couple of ticks from my dog recently. The first one didn't come out cleanly and she's off to the vets to check out an inflamed spot near the bite site. I got a little tool and used it to remove the second and it came out nice and cleanly.

Makes my skin crawl.... I wish there was something safe available for us humans to take to repel or kill off the little buggers.

This is the tick removal tool Ive got for those who want to know what they look like:
    https://www.otom.com/en/

Little Bluestem and Trish like this.