1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Therapeutic Antibody Targeting of Indoleamine-2,3-Dioxygenase (IDO2) Inhibits Autoimmune Arthritis, Merlo et al 2017

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Jaybee00, May 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5466478/

[​IMG]

@Jonathan Edwards Given that people with MECFS apparently have mutations in IDO2--do you think using IDO2-specific mAb will work for MECFS as it apparently does for RA? Did this pan out for RA?

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  2. Jaybee00

3. Jaybee00

Hello,

Bumping this thread with the hope that @Jonathan Edwards might be able to provide comment on this study...Thanks...

MEMarge likes this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is not rheumatoid arthritis. It is some sort of animal disease.
    Thousands of drugs improve models like this are useless in humans.
    There are no auto reactive T cellist RA so the theory is wrong.
    I am afraid this looks like what we used to call the yak dung effect. If you throw yak dung at an experimental animal disease it tends to get better because the immune system is distracted by the yak dung. Doesn't really matter what sort of dung either!

Presumably IDO2 is trendy at the moment so someone has found a way to show targeting it cures arthritis.

If you give a monoclonal like this to a human they will become immune to it within weeks - and what then?

merylg and ukxmrv like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

I am not sure what this would have to do with ME. And I am not aware of any data showing IDO2 mutations being raised in ME? I thought so far we had no gene linkages.

ukxmrv likes this.
  6. Jaybee00

Thanks. IDO2 mutation data from Ron Davis/Robert Phair group--"all 77 patients tested have a mutation in the IDO2 gene, this is "unusual"." I believe this a report of new data.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    merylg likes this.
  7. Jaybee00

8. Jaybee00

merylg and JES like this.
  9. JES

JES Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The entire metabolic trap hypothesis by Robert Phair builds on the idea of damaging IDO2 mutations being a necessary prerequisite to the disease. According to this hypothesis, IDO2 is actually not working and due the peculiar enzyme kinetics of IDO1, patients' cells may get "stuck" with too high tryptophan concentrations and no way to clear it out (due to bistability that makes IDO2 mostly effective at high tryptophan concentrations and IDO1 at lower ones). So targeting IDO2 would do absolutely nothing as a treatment for ME/CFS if it's true that patients already have mutations in IDO2, which make it broken.

sebaaa and Jaybee00 like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

- Metabolic trap theory: all 77 patients tested have a mutation in the IDO2 gene, this is "unusual".

That does not amount to scientific data in my mind. Just a throw away statement with no background on controls or methodology.

merylg, ukxmrv and TrixieStix like this.
  11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pity this yak dung effect doesn't translate well to humans.

merylg likes this.