1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The use of low-dose naltrexone (LDN) as a novel anti-inflammatory treatment for chronic pain, 2014, Younger, Parkitny and McLain

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Hutan, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10067-014-2517-2
    Open access

Abstract
    Low-dose naltrexone (LDN) has been demonstrated to reduce symptom severity in conditions such as fibromyalgia, Crohn’s disease, multiple sclerosis, and complex regional pain syndrome. We review the evidence that LDN may operate as a novel anti-inflammatory agent in the central nervous system, via action on microglial cells. These effects may be unique to low dosages of naltrexone and appear to be entirely independent from naltrexone’s better-known activity on opioid receptors. As a daily oral therapy, LDN is inexpensive and well-tolerated. Despite initial promise of efficacy, the use of LDN for chronic disorders is still highly experimental. Published trials have low sample sizes, and few replications have been performed. We cover the typical usage of LDN in clinical trials, caveats to using the medication, and recommendations for future research and clinical work. LDN may represent one of the first glial cell modulators to be used for the management of chronic pain disorders.

2. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It works well for me.

livinglighter and DokaGirl like this.
  3. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here's Drugs.com pharmacist-researched report on LDN

https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/low-dose-naltrexone-ldn-3570335/

To me, see linked report above in this post, if a clinical trial for LDN in FM patients reports a 28% reduction in pain, that is not a lot (enough) translated to real life, which tends to be less than in clinical trials (see pregabalin trials for FM, for instance).

Also, the report states that you must take LDN for 8-10 weeks to know "if it works for you."

Also state that one needs to start at 1mg and increase dosage by 1mg/per week to a maximum of 4.5mg. If you need 8-10 weeks to know if it works for you, how do you know how much to escalate the dose?

By the scariness of the nighmares?

NelliePledge, Hutan and Trish like this.
  4. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That makes me not interested in reading the study. For me, the first 4.5 mg dose provided complete blockage of that pain by the next morning (<12 hrs). If I followed their instructions, it would have taken me at least three, and more likely four weeks to reach a dosage that worked for me.

Detailed instructions for something that is poorly understood and which varies a lot person-to-person seems silly to me.

Mister Person likes this.
  5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, I've succumbed to the hype or my longtime desire just to try it. A USA company called Ageless Rx offers LDN. They start at 1.5mg and double that the second week, third week you're at full dose of 4.5mg. You have to buy a 90 day supply.

I've asked to start with 0.5mg as I already have insomnia. I will get the pills in early February and am sure to give a report on this site.

I have no expectations, really. It may be hard to assess small changes as they can occur with warming temperatures here in spring, more hours of daylight and more intense angle of the sun, all of which seems to energize us mammals (or at least me).

I thought of trying pregabalin after my trial of LDN, but because of my (advanced) age, there are too many precautions listed and it won't help my dyscognition (not being able to focus and pay attention, esp while driving). In fact, that's a known side effect of pregabalin. So, after LDN, it's non-pharma interventions....maybe another cat, or a move to a warmer climate. Cold is such a stressor for FM pain.

My angry mood at my illness (and the lack of sympathy or lack of any comment whatsoever by relatives when I'm suffering the worst of it) leaves me irritated with the slow and often amateurish pace of research, the me-too type of repetition of unimportant findings. I want a breakthrough.

I am tired of endless mediocre research.