1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The three myths of the NHS"

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Dolphin, Jun 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.economist.com/britain/2018/06/30/the-three-myths-of-the-nhs

chrisb likes this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That bit sounds balls to me.

All we need to learn from other countries is that if you spend 40% more again than we do now (as other counties do) you are likely to have a brilliant system without needing any commercial motives.

3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've always thought that if this founding principle of the NHS was abandoned it wouldn't take very long for the charge to rise from £5 per GP visit to £10 to £20 to £30.

I've also often wondered what would happen if doctors charged the patient directly, then got the diagnosis wrong repeatedly. Would the patient get a refund? (This is meant to be an unfunny joke - of course we wouldn't get a refund!)

4. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think Australia's system proves this point. Doctors get a basic payment from the government but are free to charge what they like, including so called "bulk billing" or accepting nothing more than the government payment. So where there is oversupply of doctors (eg. Sydney area) many doctors bulk bill so patients have no gap. But in smaller centres where there is an undersupply of doctors the gap payment can be $30 or $40. I'm sure there are those on the right that see this as a feature to help even out supply but it sure sucks for patients in smaller centres.

Arnie Pye and Trish like this.
  5. LightHurtsME

LightHurtsME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And how much time they get for this $40? (putting aside the possibility that they may things wrong again and again and how that adds up - in smaller places where I assume pay is lower than in e.g. Sydney)

6. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The clinic I go to charges $75 for a 15 minute appointment. The government rebate is $37 leaving a $38 gap. But because I have a pensioner concession card, my doctor bulk bills me so I pay nothing. I think the government rebate is a little higher since I have a concession card but he would still get much less than his usual fee by bulk billing me. I am in a small city. I don't know what happens elsewhere.

LightHurtsME likes this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

My GP clinic bulk bills. I am in a semi-rural area.