1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Sydney Morning Herald: Hope for people with mysterious and debilitating tick bite symptoms

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Kalliope, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My bold and a huge sigh :facepalm:

Hope for people with mysterious and debilitating tick bite symptoms

The Morrison government has committed $3 million for two studies over five years that will investigate the nature, prevalence and causes of these symptoms to demystify the problem and develop tests and treatment for adults and children with DSCATT (debilitating symptom complexes attributed to ticks).

A second grant has been awarded to University of Melbourne researcher and psychiatrist at Austin Hospital Professor Richard Kanaan to develop a treatment for DSCATT.

The therapies will be adapted from existing techniques that have treated conditions with similar mysterious causes, notably chronic fatigue syndrome.

Though there have been serious concerns raised about the evidence showing cognitive behavioural therapy is an effective treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome.

andypants, oldtimer, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The interest of Richard Kanaan appears to be conversion disorder.

So the treatment will probably involve reattribution of symptoms, that is, trying to convince patients that the symptoms have nothing to do with biology or a previous tick bite but are just expression of some psychological conflict. That's going to shut the patients up and the problem is then solved, for the healthcare system at least.

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

PS: he has published with Wessely.

4. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And of course, Kanaan has links to Kings and Wessley as you can see from a quick look at his publication history. Patients here are, quite rightly, furious that they have to put up with yet more pseudo-scientific nonsense (not to mention the waste of taxpayer funds).

EDIT: @strategist beat me to it!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

More money for BPS old rope. CBT really is a gravy train.

Sorry for cliches but let’s face their whole approach is just one huge cliche.

6. lafarfelue

lafarfelue Established Member

What a bunch of reprobates. And a waste of money! Unbelievable.

rvallee, ladycatlover and oldtimer like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I finally got around to reading the article. There are 2 studies being funded. The first, getting $1.9 million is a good biomedical study examining causes and tracking patients biological and psychological symptoms
    The second is ridiculous, testing CBT for those whose symptoms become chronic based on CFS treatments.

merylg, Hutan, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  8. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think I'm losing my marbles! I recall the article claiming that CBT is an effective treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome, not that there have been serious concerns raised about it being an effective treatment. The twitter link confirms this.

It seems the volley of tweets, and I would like to think emails like the one I fired off immediately, caused the writer (medical editor at the SMH and experienced health reporter) to rephrase the sentence.

9. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've just seen that Kanaan (and Austin Health) are recruiting for a trial of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) to treat Australian patients with tick-borne illnesses.

He apparently is conducting multiple rounds of screening interviews prior to recruitment to ensure that any prospective participants are on board with talking therapies as the sole form of treatment. It seems as though the BPS industry is taking lessons from the Lightning Process.

Word is that they're struggling to even find 10 patients willing to sign up.

ETA: apparently he was given $1.1million of taxpayers' money for this nonsense.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Kalliope, Trish and Hutan like this.
  10. sea

sea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

:thumbup: