The Sugar Conspiracy (The Guardian) "scientific inquiry prone to the eternal rules of human social life"

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by TrixieStix, Jan 9, 2019.

1. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This a very long article, but a good one. I'm already familiar with the history of the now debunked theory that "saturated fat is bad and causes heart disease", but this article has some details and background I had not read about before. While reading it these specific passages stood out to me in that some of these same things are likely at play in the world of ME/CFS.....

In a 2015 paper titled Does Science Advance One Funeral at a Time?, a team of scholars at the National Bureau of Economic Research sought an empirical basis for a remark made by the physicist Max Planck: “A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.”

The researchers identified more than 12,000 “elite” scientists from different fields. The criteria for elite status included funding, number of publications, and whether they were members of the National Academies of Science or the Institute of Medicine. Searching obituaries, the team found 452 who had died before retirement. They then looked to see what happened to the fields from which these celebrated scientists had unexpectedly departed, by analysing publishing patterns.

What they found confirmed the truth of Planck’s maxim. Junior researchers who had worked closely with the elite scientists, authoring papers with them, published less. At the same time, there was a marked increase in papers by newcomers to the field, who were less likely to cite the work of the deceased eminence. The articles by these newcomers were substantive and influential, attracting a high number of citations. They moved the whole field along.

A scientist is part of what the Polish philosopher of science Ludwik Fleck called a “thought collective”: a group of people exchanging ideas in a mutually comprehensible idiom. The group, suggested Fleck, inevitably develops a mind of its own, as the individuals in it converge on a way of communicating, thinking and feeling.

This makes scientific inquiry prone to the eternal rules of human social life: deference to the charismatic, herding towards majority opinion, punishment for deviance, and intense discomfort with admitting to error. Of course, such tendencies are precisely what the scientific method was invented to correct for, and over the long run, it does a good job of it. In the long run, however, we’re all dead, quite possibly sooner than we would be if we hadn’t been following a diet based on poor advice.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-sugar-conspiracy

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Little Bluestem, zzz, Lidia and 22 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A rather depressing thought for us in the ME community in the UK, as though some of the BPS cultist are at retiring age, there is still a number of proffessors (deliberate pun) in their forties and fifties. Can we wait another thirty years to see any significant improvements in UK science and healthy policy in relation to ME? A lot of suffering can happen in that time.

3. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Our problem in ME in the UK is that the old guys like Wessely White and Sharpe may eventually die off, but they have cleverly cloned their ideas not on clever doctors who might think for themselves once the 'gurus' have popped their clogs, but on minions with no medical training (psych's and OT's mostly) who don't have the wherewithal to take a scientific view of the crap they've been sold and have been obediently propagating the poison ever after. And the clones breed another generation of clones...

5. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow! when you read this it's like time travelling into the future & reading an article about ME. Tell me this series of quotes doesnt read exactly like the story of ME/PACE etc..

I cant read any more right now, but yikes, if the answer to the problem is for younger researchers to replace those who come to the end of their lives, then we are in deep trouble, but at least it's some hope for the younger generation. It's unspeakably bad if the change doesn't come until then but tbh i was concerned that it never would.

For any CBT/GET Biopsychosocial proponent/fan/researcher/defender or journalist reading this thread.... None of these remarks here should be misinterpreted or construed as any kind of desire that anyone would die.
    Quite the reverse, i want all people to stop suffering & dying, including those with ME/CFS.

6. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can we put this on a giant banner - addressed to Wessely, Crawley, etc - and hang it outside their offices?

Perhaps accompanied by a grinning Grim Reaper.

7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Do I laugh or cry? :bored:

8. JemPD

The author of the original article https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/07/the-sugar-conspiracy-robert-lustig-john-yudkin

is Ian Leslie
    Ian Leslie, the author of Curious: the Desire to Know and Why Your Future Depends On It, is a regular contributor to the Long Read. Twitter: @mrianleslie

Does anyone know anything about him? Might it be worth contacting him? I just wonder whether having researched an article like this, he could be more open minded to the truth & the similarities of what is currently happening to us, than many journalists are.
    I'm afraid i havent the courage to contact him, i'm feeling a bit wobbly at the moment & am not succinct enough in my writing in any case i dont think, but perhaps it's worth considering? Be great to direct him to @dave30th ?

I cant help thinking that the story he has written here about a historical event, is what we are currently living through & i'd have thought he'd be interested in that.

I'm certainly going to look into his book, i hope its on Audible

9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

More seriously, back the mid 80s one of my social group was doing a PhD in human physiology.

He was arguing then that the saturated fat hypothesis was poor science.

10. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Star Wars sprang to mind @Trish

11. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks like he might have a personal connection:

https://twitter.com/user/status/513797255426768896

12. JemPD

13. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

This bit about cholesterol and eggs made me laugh:

This has a very familiar ring to it, as does much else in the article.

14. TiredSam

The story continues ...

https://www.wired.com/story/how-a-dollar40-million-nutrition-science-crusade-fell-apart/

15. TiredSam

Trish and Andy like this.
  16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Grains are soooooo healthy

Seems to imply low carb means low fibre which is tosh as you up your veg and pulses to replace beige carbs as well as eating more protein and healthy fat