1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Significance of Pain Drawing as a Screening Tool for Cervicogenic Headache and Associated Symptoms in Chronic Fatigue, 2022, Bernhoff et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Wyva, Aug 27, 2022.

1. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Purpose: Patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) present with a broad spectrum of symptoms, including headache. A simple, yet powerful tool – the pain drawing identifies essential aspects such as pain distribution. The aim with this study was to 1) evaluate the significance of pain drawing as a screening tool for cervicogenic headache using a predefined C2 pain pattern, 2) assess whether there was an association between dizziness/imbalance and a C2 pain pattern, and 3) compare subgroups according to the pain drawing with respect to pain characteristics and quality of life.

Patients and Methods: Pain drawings and clinical data from 275 patients investigated for ME/CFS were stratified into: 1) cervicogenic headache as determined by a C2 pain pattern, 2) headache with no C2 pain pattern, and 3) no headache. For inference logistic regression presented with odds ratios (OR) and 95% confidence intervals (95% CI) and Kruskal–Wallis test were applied.

Results: One hundred sixteen participants (42%) were stratified to the group for which the pain drawing corresponded to the C2 pain pattern, thus indicating putative cervicogenic origin of the headache. Dizziness/imbalance was strongly associated with a C2 pain pattern; OR 6.50 ([95% CI 2.42– 17.40] p ˂ 0.00), whereas this association was non-significant for patients with headache and no C2 pain pattern. Those demonstrating a C2 pain pattern reported significantly higher pain intensity (p = 0.00) and greater pain extent (p = 0.00) than the other groups, and lower health-related quality of life (p = 0.00) than the group with no headache.

Conclusion: For patients with chronic fatigue who present with a C2 pain pattern (interpreted as cervicogenic headache) the pain drawing seems applicable as a screening tool for signs associated with neuropathic and more severe pain, dizziness and reduced quality of life as detection of these symptoms is essential for targeted treatment.

Open access: https://www.dovepress.com/the-signi...icogenic--peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-JPR#

JemPD, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I completely misunderstood "pain drawing" before I looked at the actual paper.

If you google "drawings representing pain" that was what I expected.

A lot of the kind of things I was thinking of aren't something I would want to post. But this one is innocuous enough, and partly represents what I had in mind:

[​IMG]

3. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I had the same problem the last time a doctor said they needed to draw my blood. I was looking around for the red crayon when suddenly someone stuck a needle in me.

Grigor, shak8, Arnie Pye and 2 others like this.