1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Science Fiction of Medical Quackery: Ray Bradbury's “Skeleton”, 2020, Smith and Stone

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, May 28, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Jon Stone writing disapprovingly about quackery - let's just savour the irony..
    Paywall (no abstract), https://headachejournal.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/head.13852
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.tw/10.1111/head.13852

Hutan, Amw66, Joh and 10 others like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know who that woman is who waves at the side of the screen but she is driving me nuts. Does anyone know how I could get rid of that side panel?

MSEsperanza and Barry like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I use the low tech solution of propping a piece of card so it covers that part of the screen.

4. Arnie Pye

I've just discovered my own solution. I opened the calculator program on my PC, resized it appropriately, and positioned it in front of the woman. :)

Sean, Oni, MSEsperanza and 4 others like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Click on 'Save' underneath the bird head, and then click on the download that will appear in the bottom left (on my laptop anyway). This will then open a PDF of the article, and you can then close the web page with the annoying waving person :).

MSEsperanza, Arnie Pye and Mithriel like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's Alexandra Elbakyan and you can block components of a website with ublock origin (Chrome based browsers) or similar in other browsers.

Lisa108, Barry and MSEsperanza like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

as @Snow Leopard has pointed out it's Alexandra Elbakyan, the creator of sci-hub;
    it's thanks to her you can read the paper and many others at all.

Amw66, Sean, Barry and 1 other person like this.
  8. Arnie Pye

I thought it might be her. I would have preferred a still picture of her rather than one where she constantly waves.

Simbindi and Barry like this.
  9. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you click on her picture it brings up her bio, which includes her email address. You could always send her a polite email explaining how this is distracting to your reading an article, and could she put up a still photograph instead.

Edit: Actually, after clicking on the waving picture, this opens a second tab with her bio. If you then go back to the original tab, the picture has disappeared from the box. So this is a really quick solution if you don't want to download the article as a PDF.

Amw66, Trish and Arnie Pye like this.