1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences' report on long covid

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by mango, Apr 27, 2021.

1. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (Kungliga Vetenskapsakademin) published a report on long covid today.

The portrayal of ME in the report is very problematic, and I feel it needs to be challenged.

Postakut Covid-19-syndrom – långtidskomplikationer av Covid-19
    https://covidforeningen.se/kungliga-vetenskapsakademin-publicerar-rapport-om-langtidscovid/

Summary/comments by the Swedish Covid Association:
    Here's what the report says about ME:
    I feel very strongly that this problematic portrayal of ME needs to be challenged. Would anybody here be up to writing a comment/letter to the academy? Please? (I'm too ill to do it myself.)

2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sten Helmfrid is on twitter and might be able to help.

MSEsperanza, sebaaa, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  3. mango

MSEsperanza, sebaaa, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"it has been argued"

I'm pretty sure no mistranslation can overcome the absurdity of this position. HIV denial has also been argued plenty. Many things have, it may just about be the weakest form of non-evidence there is. It's even lower than "are more likely to be due to X because of [arglebargle]", which is already at a solid 0.

This is really an incredible level of incompetence and impetuous opinion-having. It has absolutely no place in any serious discussion of anything, frankly. There is simply no possible good outcome out of people being allowed to just arbitrarily redefine things as they want in the context of a profession.

And yet nothing matters and it won't even have any consequences for years, if at all. Well, accountability consequences anyway, as it will have plenty of bad consequences, we already that for a fact.

Snow Leopard, Forbin, Wonko and 9 others like this.
  5. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Request sent to Sten via Twitter

https://twitter.com/user/status/1387383320510705664

MSEsperanza, sebaaa, Amw66 and 6 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

@dave30th , perhaps something you can take on?

MSEsperanza, sebaaa, Wyva and 5 others like this.
  7. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As @rvallee points out re "it has been argued," as if it's fact. What about the opposition? They apparently don't get a say in this. Giving complete credence to one side due to perhaps the more favored political government coffer position, is standard practice, with as usual ongoing tragic consequences.

Wonko, tomnext, Art Vandelay and 5 others like this.
  8. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"It has been argued" in an official document of sorts, can slide by unnoticed. It becomes "fact", when there is no evidence whatsoever for such a position.

It has been argued that the moon is made of blue cheese. Doesn't make it so.

Snow Leopard, rvallee, Wonko and 9 others like this.
  9. tomnext

tomnext Established Member

10. Obermann

Obermann Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for bringing the report from the Royal Academy of Sciences to my attention. I am afraid that I have had a long and bad relapse in my ME/CFS. I am trying to return to work and currently work 25% from home over VPN connection. I have very limited excess energy, and cannot at the moment engage in any more activities apart from some daily tweets. For that reason, I must refrain from commenting on the report. I don't know if RME is planning a response.

11. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An argument that has not been proven is an "allegation." If an author feels compelled to include unproven arguments, they really should say "It has been alleged" to make that clear.

sebaaa, Wits_End, DokaGirl and 6 others like this.
  12. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

:thumbup:

DokaGirl and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  13. mango

A member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences' expert group is quoted in this news article (including a video, 1 minute long, in Swedish):

Professorn om postcovid: ”Sjukvården har misslyckats med patientgruppen”
    https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/v...dscovid-sjukvarden-har-misslyckats-med-varden

Google Translate, English
    What is the expert group's current assignment?
    ETA: The National Board of Health and Welfare published their updated long covid statistics yesterday (24 February), available to download here.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022