1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Role of Leptin and Inflammatory Related Biomarkers in Individuals with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2022, Assil & Younger

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Tom Kindlon, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.mdpi.com/2504-3900/80/1/6

Report from the Scientific Poster Session at the 16th Annual Cardiometabolic Health Congress in National Harbor, USA, 14–17 October 2021

[..]

2.12. The Role of Leptin and Inflammatory Related Biomarkers in Individuals with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    • Rahaf Al Assil 1 and Jarred W Younger 2
    • University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4, Canada
    • University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401, USA
    Purpose:

Leptin is a member of the cytokine family; its receptor (LEPR-b) is the longest form receptor expressed in cells of the immune system; wherein LEPR-b deficiency causes a decrease in CD4+ cells. LEPR-b is located in hypothalamic and brain stem nuclei, and it primarily regulates energy status. As well, leptin indirectly regulates widespread pain and exercise tolerance by decreasing circulating cortisol. Hyperinsulinemia increases leptin production in adipocytes on a diurnal rhythm; however, the precise relationship between insulin, leptin and pro-inflammatory markers remains uncertain. In clinical settings, high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hsCRP) has been widely used, as an inflammatory predictor for leptin-related cardiometabolic outcomes and chronic inflammatory symptoms. Leptin-related metabolic and inflammation dysregulations have been clinically reported in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), but not fully elucidated. We examined the association of plasma insulin, leptin, and hsCRP levels with ME/CFS self-reported symptom severity.

Methods:

Prospective analyses were conducted on ME/CFS patients who met Fukuda/CDC criteria at Birmingham hospital, Alabama, U.S.A. The independent variables were hyperinsulinemia (>174 μIU/mL), hyperleptinemia/hypoleptinemia (>18.3/<3.3 ng/mL), residual inflammation risk (hsCRP ≥2 and ≠26.2 mg/L) and within-individual-variability (WIV) for each biomarker. WIV was defined for each individual as standard deviation/sample residuals adjusting for time and calculated from once-daily random plasma samples over 10–12 weeks. The primary outcomes were: (1) ME/CFS symptom score trends [generalized pain, persistent fatigue, sleep disturbance, impairment of concentration and memory (brain fog), and post-exertional malaise (PEM)] calculated from the MFI-20 questionnaire with anchors from 0 to 100 and recorded once daily over a matching 12–14 weeks, and (2) dichotomized symptom severity, with severe symptoms defined as scores > 60/100. After adjusting for age and time, we reported: (1) standard errors (SEM) and p-values for symptom trends using multivariable mixed-effect linear regression models, and (2) odds ratios for severe symptoms using multivariable alternating logistic regression models.

Results:

We included 29 ME/CFS patients. All were females and >18 years old. Hyperinsulinemia, hyperleptinemia/hypoleptinemia, and residual inflammation risk were 7%, 80%/7%, and 74%, respectively. The medians of insulin-WIV, leptin-WIV and hsCRP-WIV were [(0.24; IQR 0.15–0.38), (0.25; IQR 0.15–0.40), (0.33; IQR 0.18–0.51)] respectively. On average, hyperleptinemic patients had the highest leptin-WIV and 50% of them had residual inflammation risk. Severe (fatigue, pain, brain fog, sleep disturbance, and PEM) were reported in 50%, 29%, 41%, 30%, and 57% of patients, respectively. In the adjusted analysis, worse fatigue scores (7.49; SEM, 2.23; p = 0.002) were associated with higher insulin-WIV. Hyperleptinemia (OR 1.54; 95% CI 1.13–2.09) compared to hypoleptinemia, and residual inflammation risk (OR 1.65; 95% CI 1.21–2.25) were associated with higher odds of severe fatigue. Worse pain scores (7.17; SEM, 2.30; p = 0.005) were associated with higher leptin-WIV, and (8.45; SEM, 2.25; p = 0.0009) higher hsCRP-WIV, and residual inflammation risk (OR 1.75; 95% CI 1.34–2.29) was associated with higher odds of severe pain. Severe brain fog scores (9.20; SEM, 2.44; p = 0.0008) were associated with higher insulin-WIV, higher leptin-WIV (4.73; SEM, 2.12; p = 0.03). Residual inflammation risk (OR 1.40; 95% CI 1.16–1.77) was associated with higher odds of severe brain fog. Hyperleptinemia (OR 0.60; 95% CI 0.43–1.19) was associated with lower odds of severe PEM compared to hypoleptinemia, and better sleep quality was associated (6.07; SEM, 1.70; p = 0.001) with higher insulin-WIV, and (3.37; SEM, 1.47; p = 0.03) higher leptin-WIV.

Conclusions:

In patients with ME/CFS, symptoms severity was associated with hyperleptinemia, inflammation and within-individual-variability of these biomarkers. Leptin and hsCRP may be clinically useful in predicting symptom severity. Larger clinical trials are needed to further examine the prediction and causality of these biomarkers in the development of ME/CFS diagnosis. The efficacy and safety of anti-inflammatory therapies may be evaluated in sub-clusters of ME/CFS with metabolic responses and inflammation dysregulations to improve patient-reported symptoms.

EzzieD, sebaaa, livinglighter and 8 others like this.
  2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Disappointed that Fukuda criteria was used.

I do find Jarred Younger's work very interesting, and hope his brain imaging studies prove neuroinflammation.

EzzieD and sebaaa like this.
  3. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is interesting but the conference was last year- 2021- did they not publish since then?

Hutan likes this.