The potential role of ischaemia-reperfusion injury in chronic, relapsing diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, Long COVID, and ME/CFS; 2022, Kell

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Sep 1, 2022.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The potential role of ischaemia-reperfusion injury in chronic, relapsing diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, Long COVID, and ME/CFS: evidence, mechanisms, and therapeutic implications
    Kell DB, Pretorius E

Ischaemia-reperfusion (I-R) injury, initiated via bursts of reactive oxygen species produced during the reoxygenation phase following hypoxia, is well known in a variety of acute circumstances. We argue here that I-R injury also underpins elements of the pathology of a variety of chronic, inflammatory diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis, ME/CFS and, our chief focus and most proximally, Long COVID.

Ischaemia may be initiated via fibrin amyloid microclot blockage of capillaries, for instance as exercise is started; reperfusion is a necessary corollary when it finishes. We rehearse the mechanistic evidence for these occurrences here, in terms of their manifestation as oxidative stress, hyperinflammation, mast cell activation, the production of marker metabolites and related activities. Such microclot-based phenomena can explain both the breathlessness/fatigue and the post-exertional malaise that may be observed in these conditions, as well as many other observables.

The recognition of these processes implies, mechanistically, that therapeutic benefit is potentially to be had from antioxidants, from anti-inflammatories, from iron chelators, and via suitable, safe fibrinolytics, and/or anti-clotting agents. We review the considerable existing evidence that is consistent with this, and with the biochemical mechanisms involved.

PubMed | PDF (Biochem J)

Wonko, MeSci, livinglighter and 4 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks like another overview paper, hypothesising that impaired perfusion and oxidative stress are at the centre of chronic illness.

Wonko, MeSci, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  3. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Every time someone claims they found a connection between two rather different diseases, I tend to be skeptical. While I'm generally a fan of Resia Pretorius's work, this doesn't excite me much.

FMMM1, Lilas, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

PhD Research into ischaematic reperfusion ( funded by heart research- this is the west of Scotland ) was being done at Glasgow uni years ago. Looking at impacts on mitochondria amongst other aspects as precursor to drug development.
    I don't know where it went in terms of results.
    My daughter spent months in a lab as part of her undergraduate thesis trying to devise a molecular probe that worked.
    Richard Hartley was her prof : ROS , inflammation and mitochondria are some of his particular interests ( as well as distilling gin )

How do we get other disciplines / researchers interested? There are so many potential aspects that could link into research being done for other conditions ....

Wonko, MeSci, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Prof Douglas Kell, Research Chair in Systems Biology, University of Liverpool
    Post-exertional malaise as a Chronic Ischaemia-Reperfusion injury in Long COVID and M.E./CFS resulting from fibrin amyloid micro clots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8ZF4INnC18

Trish likes this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am afraid that to me this sounds like exactly the same handwaving speculation I was familiar with in the 1980s. I cannot seriously believe it makes any sense. Dragging up reperfusion injury and oxidative stress and recommending anti-oxidants seems a bit like recommending people wear bell-bottom trousers again.

Again we see diagrams with no precise mechanism - just arrows sort of going this way or that.

RedFox, FMMM1, shak8 and 5 others like this.