1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Pathobiology of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: The Case for Neuroglial Failure, 2022, Renz-Polster et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, May 10, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Although myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) has a specific and distinctive profile of clinical features, the disease remains an enigma because causal explanation of the pathobiological matrix is lacking.

Several potential disease mechanisms have been identified, including immune abnormalities, inflammatory activation, mitochondrial alterations, endothelial and muscular disturbances, cardiovascular anomalies, and dysfunction of the peripheral and central nervous systems. Yet, it remains unclear whether and how these pathways may be related and orchestrated.

Here we explore the hypothesis that a common denominator of the pathobiological processes in ME/CFS may be central nervous system dysfunction due to impaired or pathologically reactive neuroglia (astrocytes, microglia and oligodendrocytes). We will test this hypothesis by reviewing, in reference to the current literature, the two most salient and widely accepted features of ME/CFS, and by investigating how these might be linked to dysfunctional neuroglia.

From this review we conclude that the multifaceted pathobiology of ME/CFS may be attributable in a unifying manner to neuroglial dysfunction. Because the two key features – post exertional malaise and decreased cerebral blood flow – are also recognized in a subset of patients with post-acute sequelae COVID, we suggest that our findings may also be pertinent to this entity.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fncel.2022.888232/full

2. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It fits my thoughts on ME, just with higher detail.

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But reduced cerebral blood flow is surely something suggested by Campos-Costa thirty years ago and never verified?

Hutan, hibiscuswahine, sebaaa and 5 others like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

livinglighter, Forbin, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They kept finding interesting things in ME studies but there is never any money to do larger trials.

6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The problem in a nutshell. Many interesting initial findings that were never followed up.
    Think what could potentially be found with current tech if we could secure funding and decent research protocols

ETA - potentially

Simbindi, Jacob Richter, Ash and 5 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well actually I rather think Dr Costa has tried to follow it up and presumably didn't find anything much.

8. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be good to know.
    The negatives are as useful as positives .
    Bansal was looking into glucocorticoid receptor resistance , which sounded promising but .... Silence

adambeyoncelowe, Lilas, Ash and 4 others like this.
  9. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So many unanswered questions, so frustrating considering the advances in our knowledge of other neurological disorders. I often wonder how often they are using the donated brains from pwME/CFS via the USA NIH Brain Bank (and is there a specific brain donation for ME/CFS in UK? UK Biobank? and if they need to get more (despite this sounding unappealing or culturally insensitive to many).

10. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What's new is old and what's old is new. That's the history of M.E as it stands.

11. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fascinating read. This paper stuck in my head for a long time, until I discovered Jared Younger's research. The more I ponder this, the more low-grade neuroinflammation seems like the most sensible hypothesis given the data currently available. It fits with many aspects of ME that others can't explain:
    • The delay of PEM
    • Both mental and physical activity triggering PEM
    • Possibility of worsening with overexertion--maybe the cells "learn" to be more hypersensitive
    • Cognitive and autonomic issues
    I'm not sure of any other hypothesis that tries to explain PEM rather than handwaving it away. That's what makes neuroinflammation special.

13. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

sebaaa, RedFox, Jacob Richter and 5 others like this.
  14. Creekside

Merged thread

Paper supporting hypothesis of ME being neuroglial

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9124899/

I like the paper because it reflects my beliefs about ME: that glial dysfunction is part of the core dysfunction. It seems to fit better than theories about mitochondria, blood vessels, etc, especially since those other mechanisms depend on proper functioning of the brain, which depends on proper functioning of glial cells.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  15. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  16. Creekside

I don't know why the link failed (I've edited it now). Computer glitch?

John Mac and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  17. DMissa

DMissa Established Member (Voting Rights)

Cerebral hypoperfusion causes vascular dementia. Do we know if VaD and ME/CFS are frequently present together? I haven't encountered it, but the clinical side of things is not where I spend most of my time.

Michelle, Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.