1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Otter - ME/CFS: The Neglected Pandemic

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think this article has been shared before? It's from March 19th and includes interviews with Dr. Lucinda Bateman, Professor Alain Moreau, Professor Peter Rowe, Sabrina Poirier, and Professor Simon Décary. It's Canadian and seems very well researched:

https://theotter.ca/me-cfs-neglected-pandemic/

Quote:
    “New clinical practice guidelines do not prescribe graded exercise for this population,” Décary says. “Physiotherapists as a profession just need to take a step back and stop this.” Advocates of CBT argue that counselling will help challenge patients’ ‘belief’ in their illness. “I call them the CBT theologians,” says Professor Peter Rowe, director of Johns Hopkins University’s ME/CFS clinic. “They’ve not looked at the evidence. They’ve continued to promote this belief that ME/CFS can be treated just with counselling, which is nonsense.” For more reputable, experienced clinicians, current treatment is more a question of symptom management through medications and lifestyle changes. Generally, this is what Canada’s three treatment centres offer.

ETA: I just skimmed the article before sharing, but have now read it more thoroughly. It tells in detail of two typical patient stories, while providing a historical background and comments from clinical experts and researchers. Very good article!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    Lilas, inox, mango and 18 others like this.
  2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very good descriptions of what ME can be like. I hope this author writes more about ME. It would have been good to see references.

It is not enough for Canada to only have 3 centres that focus on ME.

ahimsa, Sean, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  3. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)