1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Oncogenic Paradox

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by JenB, Jul 15, 2018.

1. JenB

JenB Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was just doing some reading and came across the below in Cancer as a Metabolic Disease. I thought this was apt and a good framing for ME! https://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-7-7

"Confusion surrounds the origin of cancer. Contradictions and paradoxes have plagued the field [3, 4, 5, 6]. Without a clear idea on cancer origins, it becomes difficult to formulate a clear strategy for effective management. Although very specific processes underlie malignant transformation, a large number of unspecific influences can initiate the disease including radiation, chemicals, viruses, inflammation, etc. Indeed, it appears that prolonged exposure to almost any provocative agent in the environment can potentially cause cancer [7, 8]. That a very specific process could be initiated in very unspecific ways was considered "the oncogenic paradox" by Szent-Gyorgyi [8]. This paradox has remained largely unresolved [7]."

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know if posting this will necessarily advance this topic, but I was reminded of a video I watched a couple days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozb2r7c0hxA

The guy (who died a bit over half a year after this was taken) talks about his experience with chemo and it mirrors my illness experience a lot. But this is a state that was apparently induced by the therapy, whereas with me it is just kinda constantly there and waxes and wanes based on whatever it is that makes it fluctuate apart from doing too much. 'Regular' cancer apparently feels a lot different from both ME and chemo most of the time, so it should be kinda interesting to map out the overlaps and differences.
    I just thought I'd put this out there since if some of you more functional & productive people are glancing over this topic anyway maybe you'll notice something you might have glossed over.

4. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@JenB I've long believed that good research into ME will shed light on other diseases, especially cancer. I think that we could learn a lot about cancer through ME research.

Philipp and AliceLily like this.
  5. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My severe onset ME and the months following felt like the last month of cancer. I felt terminally ill. I often felt my body was putting me through chemotherapy. There must be some similar pathway or something very close to it or like what happens in chemotherapy.

@Philipp I only listened to a few minutes of the video and I experienced the same symptoms as well. I even told people that I felt like I was in the last weeks of cancer.

Philipp and Trish like this.
  6. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I should add that I was so sick it felt like I not only had cancer but meningitis, nasty flu on top and more.

Trish likes this.