The Observer/Guardian article: Does the microbiome hold the key to chronic fatigue? About patient led 'research' group Remission Biome.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Wyva, Jul 9, 2023.

Tags:
  1. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is peak shithousery commonly witnessed amongst such groups financially profiting from the products they advertise:
    I am part of said group -> Everything they do is perfect, it's "science", no questions allowed.
    I am not part of said group anymore -> Everything they do is harmful, follow me.

www.twitter.com/chydorina/status/1740082619507986762

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 10.55.51.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 10.59.43.png

Peter Trewhitt, Sean and Jaybee00 like this.
  2. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is also a certain arrogance of people who have been sick for 5 minutes to assume that their half-baked ideas such as abx haven't been tried thousands of times before (with disastrous results).

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It's really sad that people misled into trying the powerful antibiotic have been harmed. I think it would have been more responsible for DrT to stay within the organisation and fight to have their potentially dangerous protocol closed down and the so called research stopped and money returned to donors. The doctors who went along with it and prescribed the antibiotics when not indicated by bacterial infection have questions to answer too.

I notice that neither DrT nor the remission biome bluesky accounts have posted anything for 25 days, so anyone who left twitter and moved to bluesky may be unaware of these developments.

Peter Trewhitt, Sean, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  4. Dom

Dom Established Member (Voting Rights)

I'm now convinced after that post above that Dr T is under NDA as well and so can't say much at all. I was quite surprised by the post though wasn't expecting it.

I've noticed that they don't post on mastodon anymore and seem to use twitter more overall. I saw another post by Dr T where she hints that several people on the protocol have done very badly on the antibiotics, possible breach of NDA if there was one (not sure!) but one of the reasons I was never going to do it was because antibiotics make me feel ten times worse. That and my microbiome keeps loosing strains, I lost akkermansia two months ago.

Agree Sid, these things have often been tried before. It's like tenofovir, Dr Weil and Chia stopped using it because they had no biomarker to predict who would benefit from it.

5. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Quotes:

Patient-researchers and their scientist collaborators say the patient-led approach has big potential to move chronic disease research forward, making it more informed, quicker and more poised to directly improve patients’ lives.

Projects like Remission Biome “are going to change how research into these chronic, multi-organ-system diseases is going to be done,” Hoffman says. The approach may someday become a standard part of more mainstream research.

ME/CFS patients have been particularly motivated to pursue their own research, says Emily Taylor, vice president of advocacy and engagement at the ME/CFS organization Solve M.E. One key motivator is “the failure of the medical establishment to provide any sort of support or treatment or quality of life improvements for this population,” she says. Previous ME/CFS research done without patient input, such as a now-debunked clinical trial examining exercise as a potential treatment, has led patients to push back with their own studies.

Patient-led research “moves orders of magnitude faster than traditional modes of research,” Putrino says, because it focuses on the questions that are of greatest concern to patients, leading more quickly to impactful results. Patient-led groups may also be able to start new studies more quickly than institutions that have to, say, go through formal academic procedures, he says. In that way, this research is similar to how start-ups move faster than large corporations.

In addition, patients can help scientists design studies that are more likely to provide accurate results.

Advocates like Seltzer argue that patient-researchers are more incentivized than anyone to make sure their results are accurate. “If we’re wrong, we and people like us suffer,” she says.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/patient-led-research-health-medicine

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2024
    Hutan, Peter Trewhitt, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It worries me that spokespeople from MEAction and Solve are promoting the Remission Biome version of patient led research. It's nothing more than yet another social media generated protocol with no scientific basis, in this case with added bells and whistles like crowdfunding and massive hype.

This sort of think is the reason S4ME has a rule preventing members from making treatment recommendations based on unevidenced protocols. They can cause harm and waste a lot of hope and cash.

Wonko, hotblack, Grigor and 12 others like this.
  7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1773853002610462766

Prodrome Glia is my #1 recommendation for anyone with #MECFS and #LongCovid with "neuro symptoms" (including brain fog, cognitive issues, migraine, headache, tinnitus etc). It comes in liquid form! If the capsules are sold out (as they often are) just buy the liquid. Its even easier to take for most of us. Plasmalogens really work - when taken properly. search
    @chydorina
    plasmalogens

If you also have a demyelination autoimmune condition (many of us do have autoantibodies for myelin - about 30% of us, using Prodrome Neuro is also recommended).

To supercharge plasmalogens I would add phosphatidylcholine and curcumin/apigenin and omegas and olive oil. Healing starts at the cellular level - when in doubt direct your energy and money to cellular function. Lipid replacement is fundamental. 25% off using DrT25 http://prodromesciences.com

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  8. LCghost

LCghost Established Member

9. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does this imyoo assay have any scientific validity or is it similar to those other assays that were used, for instance the biomesight assay that just measured crap?

I'm guessing self-sampling everything without standard procedures could add a lot of noise especially when you are still learning to do this you might do it different the first time and then change your methodology?

They also should have data for all their participants, them only posting this data makes it seem like an advertisement for imyoo more than anything.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    Peter Trewhitt, LCghost and Trish like this.
  10. LCghost

LCghost Established Member

No wonder she's been pushing it

Attached Files:

11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That particular graph doesn't.

12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)