The neurobiology of Long Covid Monje/Iwasaki 2022

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Jaybee00, Oct 8, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.cell.com/neuron/fulltext/S0896-6273(22)00910-2#relatedArticles

https://www.cell.com/neuron/pdf/S08...m/retrieve/pii/S0896627322009102?showall=true

Abstract
    Persistent neurological and neuropsychiatric symptoms affect a substantial fraction of people after COVID-19 and represent a major component of the post-acute COVID syndrome, also known as long COVID. Here, we review what is understood about the pathobiology of post-acute COVID-19 impacts on the CNS and discuss possible neurobiological underpinnings of the cognitive symptoms affecting COVID-19 survivors. We propose the chief mechanisms that may contribute to this emerging neurological health crisis.

2. Jaybee00

3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quoting and reformatting —

4. Jaybee00

5. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Based on my early ME experience the cognitive impairment was reversible in that as the ME abated my cognitive impairment also abated. I had days or even months when my cognitive capacity returned to premorbid levels. However, thirty years on and many relapses later and an overall ongoing deterioration, I no longer experience periods when my brain seems to work normally.

6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seeing how many people recovered from the worst of what brain fog can be, this has been obvious for a while now. It's good that experts are seeing the obvious but it's been obvious from patient forums for at least 1.5 years.

And that makes it especially frustrating because all of this is clearly treatable, there will not be a roadblock once the cause is figured out, stalled because they understand the issue but that it's irreversible.

All of this is treatable, in most cases it goes away on its own. Which makes all the claims of effective treatments invalid for now, the odds of recovery are basically a coin toss at 6 months. People like Garner claiming to have recovered using the powers of their mind are basically seeing themselves as geniuses for winning a coin toss.

So the only obstacle to achieving this is... the medical profession. The will to do the work. More importantly the will to stop blocking the work because of historical baggage.

We could have known all of this decades ago, if it wasn't for the BPS sabotage. It didn't require any advanced technology. Hell, those basic facts could have been obvious a full century ago, it only took paying unbiased attention and rigorous work. It was clearly too much to ask, though.

7. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope that's the case. That ME doesn't cause any permanent damage, but that there's some "switch" that's flipped and we just need to flip it back.

SNT Gatchaman and Sean like this.