The Nation's Health: "Simple exercise counteracts effects of inactivity on health"

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

This article highlights how, for patients with illnesses that don't trigger PEM, even relatively small amounts of activity is beneficial. In my opinion, for patients with ME, this should be turned about, even relatively small amounts of seemingly innocuous activity are potentially harmful.

http://thenationshealth.aphapublications.org/content/48/1/E1.full

Woolie, Ravn, Cheshire and 4 others like this.
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder how long it would take to fold all of the cloths or wash all of the dishes working on it five minutes/hour.

Woolie, petrichor, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  3. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A case of the good, the bad and the ugly.

The good:
    For those of us capable of being upright for a few minutes at a time this is actually reassuring. We don't need to worry about doing 'proper' exercise (so stop pushing us or making us feel guilty). As long as we space (pace) out our normal activities of daily living through the day, that's just fine.

The bad:
    Inevitably there'll be generalisations drawn from this along the lines of whatever is good for one group of people is good for all.

The ugly:
    There's no comfort here at all for very severe ME patients.

Incidentally, why do they present an increase in triglycerides as a positive?

Woolie and petrichor like this.