1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The microvascular hypothesis underlying neurologic manifestations of long COVID-19 and possible therapeutic strategies, 2021, AbdelMassih

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

With the ongoing distribution of the coronavirus disease (COVID) vaccines, the pandemic of our age is ending, leaving the world to deal with its well-documented aftereffects. Long COVID comprises a variety of symptoms, of which the neurological component prevails. The most permeating theory on the genesis of these symptoms builds upon the development of microvascular dysfunction similar to that seen in numerous vascular diseases such as diabetes. This can occur through the peripheral activation of angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 receptors, or through exacerbations of pro-inflammatory cytokines that can remain in circulation even after the infection diminishes. Several drugs have been identified to act on the neurovascular unit to promote repair, such as gliptins, and others. They also succeeded in improving neurologic outcome in diabetic patients. The repurposing of such drugs for treatment of long COVID-19 can possibly shorten the time to recovery of long COVID-19 syndrome.

Open access, https://journals.lww.com/cardiovasc...cular_hypothesis_underlying_neurologic.1.aspx

Hutan, hibiscuswahine, Sean and 7 others like this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Really?

Hutan, Art Vandelay and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Re anosmia (loss of the sense of smell)

More on the microvascular hypothesis:

I thought this was interesting about a link between nerve damage and 'vein wall signalling' in MS. (I'm not sure what vein wall signalling is actually doing though.)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    SNT Gatchaman likes this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Treatment
    They suggest that if something similar to what happens in diabetes in terms of neuropathy/vascular issues is happening, then the drugs developed for helping the problem in diabetes might help.

For example:
    I'm getting tired, so will have to stop reading. But I'd be interested to know what any members with diabetes who have been on various drugs think of the possibilities listed in the paper.