1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The MED Study, Bo Christer Bertilson (Sweden)

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by mango, Mar 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and associated conditions and improved handling, investigation and diagnostics (the MED Study)"

This project is run by Bo Christer Bertilson at Bragée Clinics in collaboration with Karolinska Institutet (Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society) in Stockholm, Sweden.

The data collection was planned to start in the autumn of 2018 and will last for about three years, until 2021.

The Ethical Review Authority approved the application Dec 12 2018.

How the study is described to participants:
    “A project for improved pain analysis, where the use of a complaints sketch and a simple neurological examination is used. The goal is to increase healthcare providers' knowledge about long-term conditions with symptoms with unknown cause such as widespread pain, sleep disorders, fatigue, muscle problems (weakness, fatiguability), and increased susceptibility to infection. Pain analyzes will eventually enable correct treatment as early as possible for people with long-term and difficult-to-treat problems."

How the study is described to the Ethical Review Authority:
    "The overall aim of the project is to describe the findings for cervical nerve impact in the disease myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) and associated conditions, in order to help determine the cause of the disease and lead to improved care. Other purposes are to investigate the usefulness of a complaints sketch as a diagnostic method for detecting instability/nerve impact and describing which radiological findings can be identified for ME/CFS and associated conditions."

-----------------

mango's notes:

Translated with the help of Google, so please be aware that there might be mistakes.

The "complaints sketch" is an outline of a human body drawn on a paper, and the patient is asked to make marks on the paper to indicate where pain and other symptoms are present.

The "associated conditions" mentioned in the title are according to this researcher: fibromyalgia, long-term concitions after neck and head trauma -- whiplash associated disorders (WAD), and post concussion syndrome.

They claim that "a majority of the hundreds of patients referred" to their clinic, Bragée ME Center, "have neurological disorder findings that can be associated with the cervical/craniocervical junction."

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2019
    Yuno, ChloeC, shak8 and 18 others like this.
  2. mango

Info to participants:

"The study is conducted in conjunction with your regular clinic visits. You will be asked to fill out a "complaint sketch", and a doctor and a physiotherapist will do a simple examination of joint mobility and neurology. The complaints sketch is a method in which the patient makes marks on a drawing of a human figure to indicate where the symptoms are and whether it is, for example, a dull pain, or of a different nature. The neurological examination includes sensory testing and reflexes. Sensory testing is done on both right and left sides for touch with a brush, a prick with a spur, and vibration with a tuning fork. Reflexes are tested for C4 (supraspinatus), 05 (biceps), C6 (brachioradialis), C7 (triceps), TiO (abdominal reflex), L4 (patella), Si (achilles).

A magnetic camera examination may be made, where images are taken using magnetic fields and radio waves (no risk of radiation). The magnetic field affects electronic equipment and magnetic objects. Therefore, you should not be examined if you have electronic equipment or metal in your body (eg pacemaker, metal fragments). Dental implants and dental braces cause disturbances and can complicate the image interpretation, but if you have these you can still be examined with a magnetic camera. During a regular examination, about 100-500 pictures are taken and the examination itself takes 20-45 minutes. "

The source of this info is the Ethical Review Authority application.

MEMarge, ChloeC, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  3. mango

Inclusion criteria: "Participants are recruited consecutively among adult patients referred to ME Center (n = approximately 200).

Patients and controls will be asked in writing for consent to include the results of the examinations in the study, when receiving letters and forms from ME Center before their first enrollment visit."

mango's note: No mention of diagnostic criteria in this section, unfortunately.

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt, Inara and 3 others like this.
  4. mango

"The assumption underlying the study is that within the ME/CFS cohort there is a significant group of patients with changes in upper and/or lower neck joints that express themselves as neurological abnormalities."

5. mango

"The research questions are:

1. To what extent do neurological disorder findings from the cervical spine occur in patients referred for investigation of ME/CFS?

2. What is the correspondence between diagnosis of nerve impact on symptoms and neurological examination?

3. What is the correspondence between diagnosis of nerve impact based on the complaints sketch and a MRI of the cervical spine?

4. What interpersonal reliability does the complaints sketch have in screening for nerve impact in the cervical spine?

5. Are there differences between men/women regarding correspondence between the complaints sketch and neurological examination and MRI?"
    mango's notes: Again, translated with the help of Google under the influence of PEM, so please be aware that there might be mistakes...

The source of this info is the Ethical Review Authority application, which is not published online as far as I know. But I'd be happy to share the document, feel free to ask and I'll send you a copy.

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thank you @mango. It looks interesting, though a little confusing that they expect to see people with whiplash and post concussion at an ME clinic.
    Do you have a link for the study website?

7. mango

No sorry, I haven't seen anything published yet. Here's the link to Bragée ME Center, though https://www.bragee.se/

MEMarge, Andy and Trish like this.
  8. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is quite interesting @mango, thank you!

(And nice to see you again. :) )

andypants, Hutan, ScottTriGuy and 4 others like this.
  9. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They might be on something there. When I was still severe that area was horrible.

MEMarge, andypants, Inara and 2 others like this.
  10. mango

It will be very interesting to see where this leads. Are they really on to something, or is it a case of "if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"? BCB is new to ME, his background is in neck and back related pain

https://ki.se/en/people/bochbe

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    andypants, Clementine, shak8 and 5 others like this.
  11. lansbergen

Does he follow mainstream or does he have good ideas?

shak8 and ScottTriGuy like this.
  12. mango

I don't know, I've never talked to him myself and I haven't been able to find much at all online about his thoughts on ME.

There's been a few news articles the last few days, about a Swedish woman diagnosed with EDS, CCI and ME, where he has been quoted. She went to London for a special kind of standing MRI, then to a doctor in Barcelona who diagnosed her with CCI, and she is now fundraising for surgery in Barcelona.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/vm4Ay4/robyn-29-sangliggande-pa-grund-av-svara-sjukdomen/promo

https://amp.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/lakare-okunskap-om-nackskador-i-sverige

Here's another article about her (no BCB quotes, though):
    https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/s...as-i-spanien-ingreppet-erbjuds-inte-i-sverige

13. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have never got my head around the various seemingly unconnected suggestions of links between ME and cranio-spinal anomalies: problems with the joint between the spine and the skull impacting on the brain stem, hyper mobility perhaps impacting on the same joint, leakage of cerebrospinal fluid, misalignment in specific cervical vertebrae, that specific (thoracic?) spinal anomalies can be used to diagnose ME, etc.

Because I do not fully understand these ideas I may have confused details.

Is there enough evidence that we should be taking any of these seriously? Presumably BCB thinks there is something relevant about the interaction between the neck vertebrae and the associated spinal nerves.

Grigor and shak8 like this.
  14. mango

Thank you so much! :hug: I really wish I could come here and hang out more often, but I'm still suffering a bad relapse so I need to rest more. I just thought that this was probably something that you guys would find interesting, so I wanted to pop in here and share.

MEMarge, andypants, TiredSam and 7 others like this.
  15. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just saw this research recruitment today re POTS and a 'neck pressure collar'...

Attached Files:

MEMarge and Inara like this.
  16. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect it would be a symptom and not a cause of ME. You get ME, muscles weaken, joints are affected which can both lead to secondary symptoms maybe even leading to tertiary symptoms.
    Just a theory.
    That said there may also be overlap since this abnormality itself can apparently cause symptoms that get people misdiagnosed as having ME

We really need a disease mechanism/biomarker to start filtering out other conditions.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    ScottTriGuy, Inara and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  17. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too, seems like strange questions.

Grigor and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  18. lansbergen

Yep.

In my case it certainly was not the cause. Just one of the symptoms.

That symptom improved very much without churgery or massage.

I am pretty sure it is the innate immune system that causes the symptoms when it tries to destroy the pathogen.

MEMarge, Art Vandelay and Inara like this.
  19. mango

One more article today, with a quote by the owner of Bragée ME Center (the clinic where the MED Study takes place):
    https://www.expressen.se/gt/matilda-26-tillbaka-pa-sjukhuset-efter-blodpropp/

It also says that the surgery in Barcelona will cost approx 800 000 SEK (75 800 EUR, 85 700 USD).

MEMarge, Hutan, Lisa108 and 3 others like this.
  20. mango

https://staff.ki.se/people/gabber

Andy likes this.