1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Many Faces of Scientific Fraud - excerpt adapted from "Fraud in the Lab"

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by Sly Saint, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Concentrates on lab research.

https://quillette.com/2019/12/21/the-many-faces-of-scientific-fraud/

another RT from MS, expert on the subject

2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A few months ago when reading up on Willy Burgdorfer I was quite struck by this portion of his official NIH biography

DB: Did your colleagues help you write the American style?

WB: Yes. I think I still have the first manuscript I submitted to my colleagues and they took every word apart.

DB: And so did you put it back together the way that made it a successful article?

WB: Yeah.

DB: And I take it this got easier and easier the more you did it?

WB: Of course. The more you are writing, the more experience you get. I often refer to the "red line" running through the subject you are writing about. Stick to the red line, you will produce a good paper. Deviate from it, and you will lose the reader's attention.

Whilst I am all in favour of literary style, it should not obscure the relevant nuances of the "scientific" process.

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read that as

The Many Faces of Sigmund Freud - excerpt adapted from "Freud in the Lab"

.......must have been a Fraudian slip.

4. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too.

ladycatlover and MEMarge like this.
  5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apologies in advance for returning to the dread subject. Fraud is a strong word and will sometimes be applicable. However there may be other cases in which it is better to think in terms of "ex post facto" reasoning justifying preconceived ideas.

At what would you assess the probability of McEvedy and Beard coming to the conclusions which they did prior to "discovery" of their documentary evidence? Does anyone doubt that the conclusions were reached in advance of study of the evidence, or that the evidence was selected to support the conclusions?