1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Magic Feather Effect: Placebos and the Power of Belief in Alternative Medicine

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by TrixieStix, Mar 21, 2019.

1. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"A new book, The Magic Feather Effect: The Science of Alternative Medicine and the Surprising Power of Belief, by the journalist Melanie Warner, sees Dumbo’s feather as an analogy for alternative medicine. The analogy is imperfect, but the idea is that alternative medicine providers persuade patients to accept a non-reality-based belief, and believing has a powerful placebo effect that allows the mind to heal the body. Unlike Dumbo’s feather, a patient who improves with alternative medicine is never told the treatment was imaginary. There is no “science of alternative medicine”. If it were based on science, it would not be “alternative”, but would simply be part of medicine. Alternative medicine is placebo medicine. Science has not shown it to be “powerful” in the accepted sense. She portrays it as powerful based largely on anecdotal evidence of seemingly miraculous healings."

Overview of the book here by Dr. Harriet A. Hall....

https://www.skepdoc.info/the-magic-...-the-power-of-belief-in-alternative-medicine/

andypants, MEMarge, DokaGirl and 5 others like this.
  2. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wish I could have some of this placebo effect when trying alternative therapies. All they've done in the past is make me sicker.

andypants, MEMarge, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.